Chapter 1: A Very Lucky Girl

Autumn leaves crunched under my shoes. My golden hair blew gently behind me as the cool wind played with it. Finally, I found the place I had been looking for. My yard was huge, and about a half acre long. Trees covered almost all of it, so leaves were almost always on the ground. One of my favorite things to do is write. Whether it be songs, poems, or stories, I love everything about it. The scratching noise of my pencil dancing across the page, creating one of the most beautiful things in the world. Words.

My entire life has been devoted to writing. I'm only seventeen, but I spend every free second writing. It's so important to me; it's a way I can lose myself in a world of my own. Today I was writing a song. It focused on the fact that girls rush into relationships too often without thinking. I wasn't one of those girls. I had never had a boyfriend in my entire life, even back in elementary school, when everyone claimed to have "boyfriends" and "girlfriends". Boys had never appealed to me, but I knew I wanted to be in a relationship eventually, I just hadn't found the right guy, yet. I just found relationships useless and unnecessary. In the real world, a boyfriend isn't going to get you anywhere. Hard work and determination are. I didn't really have a lot of friends, and when I did, they were usually guys. Girls were always so dramatic.

Another thing I loved about writing, is that I can let my mind take me wherever. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. I obviously still lived with my parents, but spent of my time at the library, or in my room downstairs. I had been sitting near the back of our yard, on a weak hammock surrounded by trees, when my mom called me for dinner. I didn't eat a lot, either. Oh, I kept healthy and excercised, but when I say my life was devoted to writing, I'm serious. I swung off the hammock, and charged toward my house. Our dog, Baxter, greeted me on our back porch. I hugged him, went inside, washed my hands with my favorite orange-scented soap, and sat down to a steaming bowl of chicken alfredo.

My little brother Matthew and little sister Angela were at the table, too. Angela was fourteen, and Matthew was ten. "Guess what?" he shouted, sauce dripping from his mouth. Angela groaned. "Ugh! You're disgusting, Matt!" My weird little brother just opened his mouth wider. I shook my head, and began to eat.

It was a Sunday evening, so after dinner I checked to make sure I had done Friday's homework, and then jumped in the shower. While I was drying my hair, Matt came up to the door, and started banging away. "Vivian! Would you hurry up? I need to take a bath!" I snorted. "You? Take a bath? Likely story. Tell Angela she'll just have to wait!" A dramatic teenage scream then echoed throughout the hall. I quickly hurried, and sprinted to my room, where I started up another song.

I glanced at my alarm clock. It read 10:36. I groaned and stretched my sore muscles. I had been writing for almost two hours. I really should've gone to bed, but I was nervous for my math test tomorrow. I was usually an excellent student, but math was my weakest subject, and the upcoming test was a big one. I finally decided I should just go to sleep, when a knock on my door startled me. "Vivian? Are you asleep?" It was Mom. "No," I called back. She entered the room, and handed me a dark red envelope. "What's this?" I asked as she handed it to me. Mom shrugged, and just said, "It came for you in the mail." With that, she kissed my forehead, and walked upstairs. I shut my door and studied the envelope. It was a deep blood red, with a golden seal on it that had a swirly 'W' on it. The font looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place what it was.

I hesitantly pulled it open, almost scared to see what it said. It was a letter written in swirly ink, but it didn't look typed. I sat on my bed, and, under the light of the lamp, read it carefully.

Miss Vivian Lewis,
You have been selected out of multiple applicants to receive training from me, Willy Wonka, the owner of Wonka Industries. You will have six months to prove you can keep up with working at the Chocolate Factory. If you cannot rise to the expectation, you will be sent home. You will report to London on January 5th to start your training. You will be trained by me, and you will work alongside Charlie Bucket, the winner from my previous competition. Best of luck, and you should also know, you are a very lucky girl.
Yours truly,
Willy Wonka

I had to smile at the last part. Then, it all came flooding back. Two months ago, I had been completed obsessed with the art of candy making, so when I heard I had a chance of working and learning under the guidance of one of the greatest chocolateers in all of history, I had been ecstatic. Now, I was almost too stunned to believe I had won. I guess I hadn't really expected to win, anyways, so this took me completely by surprise. And I had just received a letter from Willy Wonka himself! I practically dropped my glass of water that had been resting in my other hand. This was huge! I actually had a chance of working at the Chocolate Factory! Which, for two months, I'd thought had been my dream.

But as I was set on being on author, I didn't see this working. On the other hand, Mr. Wonka was right. This was a really lucky chance. One in a million, quite literally. I folded the note, set it on my dresser, and decided I would think about it tomorrow. As I sunk into a comfortable, but confused sleep, I realized just how true those words were. I really was a lucky girl.