Chapter 9: Disastrous Things...Or Not?

I sucked in a deep breath. Charlie was helping Willy look presentable, while I shared at myself in the mirror. I had made sure to only pack nice outfits, but I wasn't sure if this was right. With a long sleeve Vineyard Vines shirt in a bright pink color, black leggings, Uggs, and black Nike socks. It wasn't fancy at all, but I had lost my suitcase, and it was all I had.

I walked out to the front of the Chocolate Factory, and saw a cab pull up. It was my parents. Mom looked sterner than I remembered, and Dad looked more severe. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Willy cross the hallway and run to the dining room. Mom gave me a hug. "How are you, sweetie?" she asked in a voice that made me relax a bit. Dad kissed my cheek, and I sighed, finding myself comforted. "Mr. Wonka's holding dinner over here. Come on." My parents followed me, and images flashed in my head of how disastrous this could be. Charlie stood outside the door, and smiled at us. My heart flopped when I realized how much easier this would be if Charlie was my boyfriend. Dad looked reassured when he saw Charlie. "Oh, so you must be Charlie Bucket?" He nodded, and led my parents into the dining room. Willy wasn't there.

I was kind of confused, so I asked Charlie were he was. "He wanted to make a good impression." I groaned. "What is he even planning to do?" Charlie shrugged. "With Wonka, you can never tell." I laughed. "Wow!" I said. Still, his words were true. I hopped from foot to foot, nervousness obvious on my face. Dad sat next to Mom at the table, and Charlie and I awkwardly sat next to each other. After a moment, Dad spoke. "So, when will Mr. Wonka be joining us?"

As if on queue, Willy entered the room, a bit of a spring in his step. "Good evening, Starshine! The Earth says hello!" Several seconds passed. I snuck a glance at my parents. Mom looked confused; Dad's eyebrow was raised. Willy nodded. "My name is Willy Wonka. I shake you warmly by the hand." He stuck his hand out, bit retracted it when he saw there was two guests. I giggled nervously. "Uh, Dad! Mom! I want you to meet Willy Wonka, my...uh, well, I guess he's my-" "Boyfriend!" he interrupted me. I stared at Willy in horror. He looked pleased with himself, oblivious to the dangerous atmosphere that was beginning to gather. I nudged him, and gave him the slight shake of the head. He frowned, and with one look at my father, he saw the situation. "Ah," he said. The next few moments were all a blur.

Dad stood up, charged Willy, and promptly pinned him up on the wall. "Correct me if I'm wrong," he growled. "But I do believe you said you were dating my daughter. You must've been mistaken." Willy nodded quickly. "Yes, my mistake." I tore my father off of him and said, "No! Dad, I won't have you treat Willy like this! Yes, we are a couple. But might I add a responsible one?" He raised his eyebrows, clearly impressed with me. He only knew the quiet side of me, although he was my father. Willy looked surprised, as I was not one to yell. Well, Charlie was an exception. In fact, he looked rather amused. I had to try to keep my sanity, as the outrageous situation got even more so. Mom stood up and pulled her husband off of my boyfriend. "Well, I'm very happy for you, Vivian. I believe this awkward young man has done you some good. Much more than you had been getting at home. However, under the circumstances, perhaps it is best you should come back home." Silence seeped into every corner of the room. Dad and Willy were statues, Charlie a stone onlooker. I bit my lip.

I had learned so much at the Chocolate Factory, the idea of leaving seemed strange. In just four months, I had made a new friend, and, something more. I connected with Charlie and Willy, so it was actually quite sad to have to leave them. I walked over to Willy, and hugged him closer. Then I faced my mother. "I think you're right," I said. Dad looked relieved, as if he expected to have to drag me away, kicking and screaming. Charlie sighed. "I agree," he said from the sideline. I laughed. "However," I said carefully. "I should like to spend one last night here. To do something. Something I didn't get to do with you," I directed this at Willy. Everyone's jaws dropped open, and I laughed. "I mean, we never got to have a proper party!" Charlie sighed with relief. I glared. "What's your problem?" I snapped. He chuckled. "Well, my room is right next to yours..." We all laughed. I couldn't believe it. My parents, my boyfriend, and my best friend were all laughing together. I sighed, savoring the moment.

I checked my outfit out. Skinny jeans, knee-high grey boots with heels, and a pretty light grey top covered my skin. My hair was in a messy bun. Fashionable, but half-casual for the last hurrah. I ran down the hall, careful as possible to make sure I didn't trip and die. A few Oompa Loompas carried the last bits of food trays into the Chocolate Room. I walked in to check on Charlie's work. He had strung up lights from the ceiling and candy cane trees. A huge speaker sat next to the giant hard bubblegum balls, ready to blast the loudest music possible, even drowning out the waterfall. Charlie waved at me, a large grin very visible. "Willy's not even ever been to a real party! So, I planned the perfect one!" I giggled. "Yeah, the last one he attended didn't turn out so well. It was thrown by a bunch of, ''weird teenagers." Charlie laughed.

I stood outside the door of the Chocolate Room, Willy was dressed in his usual attire. I wanted to remember him as the crazily eccentric chocolateer he was. When he entered, he literally gasped. We spent the rest of the night dancing and laughing, and of course, living the last hurrah.