Chapter 7: Blast From The Past

The whole place screamed trouble. I shivered. I saw Willy looking really uncomfortable, so I kissed his cheek to make him feel better. He seemed to relax, but he was obviously nervous. I looked around for Anna, Molly, or Kennedy, but I couldn't see anything past the dancing bodies, and my ears hurt from the pounding music. As I walked through the thick crowds, I held Willy closely, not letting go of his hand.

Finally, I recognized Molly. "Hey! Molly! It's me, Vivian!" She turned around and broke into a smile. "Why, Vivian! Aren't you dressed up in the cutest outfit!" I noticed her Southern accent that I hadn't before. But she stared at Willy. "Oh my word! It's Willy Wonka! Well, I'll be darned!" She laughed a very faux laugh, and then offered to grab us drinks. Willy and I stood by the corner. "These teenagers are really weird," he said. I giggled at his all to true remark.

We waited a bit, until I saw Kennedy run up to us. "Vivian! So glad you could make it!" Then she hugged me as if we were lifelong friends. I noticed Willy had disappeared to the bathroom, so he didn't get to meet Kennedy. But I certainly got my fill of her. "Oh my gosh! I almost forgot to tell you! Me and my boyfriend are performing tonight. I researched some American artists for you, so I'm going to be singing a song by Katy Perry. Do you know her?" I snorted. "Everyone in the English-speaking world knows Katy Perry. What song are you doing?" She told me it was a surprise. Kennedy ran up to the front of the room, and the background music stopped, and lights fixed on her. "Hey all you players!" she called out to the crowd. "I'm going to be singing a song called, "California Girls!" She then started up a beat I knew all too well. When she started singing, I couldn't deny we was good.

"You can travel the world, but nothing comes close to the Golden Coast!"

Her voice rang out in my ears. But it also shocked me back to reality. I needed to find Willy. It wasn't easy, but I traced him to the front porch. "Hey, you! Why aren't you inside? Kennedy's singing," I said. Willy sighed. "I'm a thirty-year-old in the middle of a bunch of teens. It's really weird, and I-" He stopped. "What did you just say?" He looked at me, fear burning his eyes. "Uh, I said Kennedy's singing," I responded, super confused. He walked to the driveway, muttering things like, "It's a different one," and, "They're not the same." Now I was becoming concerned. "Willy, what's wrong?" He took in a shaky breath. "Remember when I told you that the last time I loved someone, they only wanted me for my money? Well, her name was Kennedy Newton."

I shook my head. No way. This was not possible. It couldn't be. Kennedy wasn't a bad girl. Sure, she was kind of a popular girl sometimes, but, would she hurt a guy just for money? That was when I realized I didn't know her that well. At all, really.

I told Willy to wait here, and I ran inside, and started to look for Kennedy. My heart was pounding so loud, I started to wonder if it would drown out the music. After she finished her song, she went to a corner with her boyfriend. I interrupted their make out session, and pulled her to the side. "What's your full name?" I hissed. She shoved me away. "Creep! Get off me!" I started to get frustrated. "Kennedy, is your last name Newton?"

Time seemed to stop. So much depended on her answer. "Yes," she whispered. I almost passed out. She hurt Willy. She hurt my boyfriend. Well, we weren't technically dating, but I loved him. This girl had hurt the man I loved. And when all of this registered, I went practically insane. "How dare you? How dare you hurt Willy Wonka? He loved you, and all you wanted from him was his money! How could you? I thought you were my friend."

I left her standing there, and stormed out of Anna's house. How could a person be so cruel? I found Willy on the front steps, lightly crying. I pulled him up. "Come on," I said, the anger very apparent in my voice. He stopped me. "Was it her?" he asked. I nodded. "I'm sorry," I murmured. Then I cursed myself inside my head. As if apologizing would make a difference. He had been hurt badly, and I had become friends with his torturer.

"Willy, please forgive me. I-" I could not finish my sentence, because my words were muffled by his lips. Those perfect, beautiful lips. Our second kiss blew the other away; I fell into a pit of pure ecstasy. He made the kiss soft, yet it screamed, "I love you." He placed one hand on my neck, and brushed my hair back. I murmured his name softly, and when he drew away, he sighed contentedly. I stood on my tiptoes, and kissed his cheek once more, before taking him by the hand, and getting in a cab.

When we reached the Chocolate Factory, Charlie greeted us. "How was it?" he asked with genuine interest. We looked at each other and sighed happily. "Horrible." We left Charlie very confused, but he got over it. After all, if you could not deal with strange things, you could not hang around Willy Wonka. I went to my room and started to take my shoes off, when I noticed Willy was standing in my doorway. "Um, privacy?" I asked awkwardly. He had dazed off, so he snapped back.

"Oh, yeah. Um, about that..." He trailed off, leaving me to imagine the possibilities. "Willy, what's wrong?" He shifted from foot to foot. "The power in my room shut off, so I was wondering if I could, uh, stay with you?" I let my jaw drop. "Do you have any idea how risky that is?" I hissed at him, pushing him outside. "Go stay with Charlie!" He had a hurt expression on, but I could tell he knew it was for the best. As soon as he turned, I grabbed his arm and kissed him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so harsh. But it's too dangerous. I love you, though. You know that." He nodded. "Yes, I do."