Part 2: Chicks Before Dicks, Unless The Chick Is A Dick

TITLE: Chicks Before Dicks, Unless The Chick Is A Dick
SHIP: Rachel/Luke
WORDS: 1,577
CATEGORY: Angsty Fluff
EDITED?: No

Rachel cried, tears falling on and on. In the span of five minutes, she had managed to lose a close friend and her best friend. She could never forgive Leia for what she did, but she knew Luke could never forgive Rachel for what she supposedly did, either. 

She should have just turned Leia in. She knew she should have, it wasn't fair for her. But she couldn't because the truth was, it didn't hurt so much that Leia blamed Rachel for painting The Muttcracker pink. What hurt more was that Luke was willing to just dispose of her after one single incident. They had been friends for two years and he had grown to be a brother-like figure in her life, but he was so mad at her in that moment. He was furious

How could he ever forgive her, when she caused him so much stress and anger?

And maybe Rachel was just being a little dramatic, because after five minutes of crying by herself in the Rose Room, Luke walked in and took a seat beside her on the piano chair.

"Rachel," he said, voice soft yet full of disappointment. "Why are you crying?"

She sobbed, embarrassed by how loud and hard it had been. It shook her entire body, bumping Luke beside her, and he immediately grabbed hold of her, his arms wrapping around her. He was hugging her. No - he was holding her.

She continued to sob until she finally found her voice. She looked up at him, feeling a deep pit of sadness as she saw how disappointed he looked. "I'm sorry," she said, wiping her eyes. "I'm so sorry."

Luke rubbed her arms and then released her. "It's okay," he said. "Really. I just - I don't understand why you would do this."

Rachel took a deep breath. Tell him the truth, she told herself.

"I . . ." She sighed. She couldn't do it. "I thought it would be a funny prank."

Luke's face went from disappointed to disgusted within seconds. "A prank?" Rachel nodded. "Rachel, I - I'm sorry, I can't even be around you right now. I can't believe you would do something like this as a prank. You know this band is my life and that van was our icon. We were "the boys in the dog van" and then you just completely ridded us of our label as a prank?"

Rachel couldn't look him in the eye so she looked down at her lap, nodding.

Luke stood up. "I have to go," he said. She knew he didn't have anything on, he just didn't want her company anymore.

When he left, she let the tears fall harder. No more friends, she thought to herself. Congratulations.

+++

Rachel's head was clear. She was no longer feeling sorry for herself, or even sad over losing Leia. Now, she was just mad.

". . . I just wanted to hang out with you because I miss you," Leia said, grabbing Rachel's clasped hands from across the table at Java Junction. "I'm sorry for what happened, I really didn't mean for it to come between us. It's just . . . You know how much I like Luke."

Rachel could not believe the words she was hearing. She removed her hands from beneath Leia's, staring with as much disgust as she could muster, just to get the message across more effectively. 

"Yeah, I do know how much you like Luke, because since the day you met him you have done nothing but choose him over me. I'm your best friend, Leia. Not Luke. He doesn't even like you, let alone love you." The words spat out of her mouth and it felt good. Releasing all that negative energy Leia had caused meant it could be replaced with deep breaths, clear thoughts, no more of the bull crap Rachel's so-called "best friend" had been feeding her all this time.