14.Holding it Together

Author's Note:
Please vote. Comment. Add book to your reading list. Becuase I'd love this book to be in the Top Ten of the Mystery/Thriller category. It would be amazing and I need your guys help! It's a way you can thank me. lol

________________________________________________

The next morning my alarm didn't go off. Today, I had to prove to the school teachers I had everything under control. But, I was already running half an hour behind schedule. Zayn had already left for work and it was my job getting the children ready for school. However, children make the simple tasks, impossible.

Aymaan refused to come from out of under his bed to get dressed. Zara slumped in the doorway whining,
"When is mum coming back? I miss her." She sucked her thumb seeking comfort. Armaan ran around the house, climbing over the sofas making me run a marathon before I could button his shirt. Times like this I wondered why I took on a colossal responsibility. Zayn didn't trust me. I wasn't getting any praise from my family. It would have been easier if I had experience with children, maybe my own child, however I was out of my depth.

Twenty minutes later standing in the hallway I perched Aymaan on my hip still in his pyjama bottoms, I combed Armaan's hair when Zara pulled my arm.

"Auntie, where's my lunch?"

I looked at the clock in despair. It was five to nine. Five minutes left until the school gates shut.

"You have packed lunch?" I groaned. How did I not know this? What was Zara eating up until now? No one told me this.

Just then the front door opened and Zayn arrived from work dressed in his usual dirty overalls. Aymaan slid down and ran to him. Zayn picked him up and held him.

"You not ready for school?" Aymaan wrapped his small arms around him refusing to go. I didn't care if he didn't have his trousers on. I was ready to take him to school in his pyjamas and show his teachers that it was impossible to dress him after last night.

"I'll take them to school" He zipped up Zara's coat and tied Armaan's shoe laces.

"I'm quite capable of doing that." I replied in a stern tone. Why did he return?

"You can go to work. See your dad. Tell him everything. It's what you lot always wanted. He will be happy." He derided

After defending Zayn to the social workers and concealing the fact he yells and probably hits the children, I thought we were progressing. I'd probably gained his trust! How stupid! Zayn didn't care.

"Oh, for God's sake Zayn." I fumed, imploding under the pressure. I knew we were going to be late, but I wasn't going to leave without giving this oaf a piece of my mind.

"Grow up! I am not Zeenat! I'm not daddy's girl. I could have divulged everything to the social workers! About how you neglect the children and go to work. How you can't afford to feed them, and you know what? They would've removed the children. And guess where they'd take them? Yes! To dad's! They take them to the grandparents first. I would have won." I poked my chest.
"You would have lost. So why did I defend you? Not for you! For the kid's sake!"

I took a deep breath and sighed. Finally, it was out of my system. But it fell on Zayn's deaf ears. He ignored me and took the kids to his small van and squeezed them all in the front seat.

"Zayn what are you doing?!"

He was insistent.

"You can't sit them, there. There is no space." I pointed in disbelief.

There were no child booster seats or seat belts. Nevertheless, Zayn squashed them in the front seat. I climbed in seating Aymaan on my lap breaking all child safety laws. Zayn drove with Armaan on his lap pretending his was driving the car and making him hold the steering wheel.