28. Morning After

Trigger Warning: Adult scene ahead.

_________________________________________________________

The warm bed hugged me, refusing to let me go. Flinging my naked leg out of the duvet, the cold air pimpled my skin. Weary eyes, heavy body, I was tired like I hadn't slept all night and I'd ran for miles. What a night!

From the bed side table, I grabbed my mobile and opened one eye. It was half nine! I was late for the school run! How was this possible?

Quickly, I sprung up on my bed and looked around my room. Light flooded in spotlighting the door lock. It was locked safely. It was all a dream. Zayn didn't enter my room. Instead of being pleased I was disappointed. As though I'd missed out on something amazing, like that trip to London. All week I'd told my school friends about it, building up the excitement, but when the time came dad took Zeenat and left me at home crying my eyes out. Why didn't I let the whirlwind in? Was I boring? Living a tepid life.

Venturing outside my bedroom, I discovered Zayn had taken the children to school. The children's room beds were made, the living room tidy and the kitchen spotless. How did Zayn manage this? I was impressed. After such a long time, I'd luxuriated in a lie in. But I didn't feel rested, in fact I felt restless.

Time was my enemy. The more time I had time to myself, the more I was plagued with doubts and thoughts. In the light of day last night looked different. Zayn's forceful attempts were criminal. If Salma told me, her husband pushed her against the wall and touched her intimately without her permission, I'd immediately whisk her to the police station and charge him for sexual assault. Zayn frightened me. His feelings were primal and wrong. I felt wronged. Was this his way with Zeenat? Maybe this was why she ran away? My suspicions answered my doubts. No one needed to explain it to me, it was clear. Zayn was intimidating and dangerous at times and I had to find out more.

Sitting with Zeenat's mobile phone running my fingers along the cracks of the screen, I knew this phone held my sister's secret. If only I could contact Kash. Kash could open up a new world. I called Kash but Zeenat's phone was out of credit. I scrolled through the messages making sure I didn't miss something out, something I could take comfort in. But nothing. So, I saved Kash's number in my mobile phone and rang the number. With every ring, my heart pounded. No answer. Instead, I sent a text message.

'Kash. Where are you? I need you. Z.'

Secretly I hoped Kash believed it was Zeenat.

Holding my mobile in my hand, I stared at the screen sitting in silence. The ticking of the clock synchronised with my heart beat.

'Please answer me. Please!' Every second was painstakingly slow. I looked up at the clock as it read 10:30 a.m and then my mobile pinged. I took in a sharp breath.

Kash!

Quickly, I unlocked my mobile squiggling in a pattern. It was wrong. My fingers trembling. I tried it again. Wrong again. No! What's wrong with you? I didn't want to be locked out. Once again, I tried, this time slow stroked with my thumb and it unlocked. I clicked on the text message icon and the list appeared on the screen.

'St Benedict's Primary School.'

Disappointment seeped through my bones. It was the school reminding the parents of an after-school end of year performance. My final chance of finding out about Zeenat had failed. Reaching out, I was so close to her, almost touching her fingertips, but then the floor caved in.

"Oh Zeenat! What really happened?"

***

It was half three when I reached the school and parked my car outside on the yellow zig zag lines. With thirty minutes left until parking restrictions were eased and I secretly prayed God would send his angels to protect my car. Smoothing down my nude chiffon pleated skirt, I felt hot in my mauve blouse wishing I'd worn my loose white kurtha. Today was the hottest day of the year at 21 Celsius, but then the news reported this every other day. My matching floral chiffon hijab pinched my just below the chin. There was no time to make adjustments, so I grabbed my clutch bag and rushed inside in clicking in my court heels.