Why God Doesn't Speak

We see through a plethora of Bible stories that God speaks to select individuals, regardless of the state of their relationship with Him or their sin: Abraham, Moses, and Paul are three of the most well-known. Why doesn't He speak to more people? I needed to know about free will, Satan, judgment, and the attributes of God to fully understand this concept. Of these four, the judgment of God and who He is are the key components.

God is...

God is love, yes, but God is also just. (2 Thessalonians 1:6) The Bible refers to him as the Just Judge. Being just means being fair. Knowing this is critical to knowing why God speaks to some people and not to others.

The key to understanding why God doesn't usually speak to us in demonstrative ways stems from the fact that many Christians do not believe that God judges them. Most Christians are familiar with the grace of God and believe that, as Christians, we are free of God's judgment. Like most things, there is some truth in that, but we need to know the full truth.

Judgment from God

Let us establish a few things about Heaven so that we can better understand the concept of judgment:

God created man in His image. We are made in the image of God and are 'like God.' (Genesis 1:27) "Like God" doesn't mean we are the same as God, but it does mean that we share much in common. A flower is like a tree: both need water and sunlight and both have leaves and roots. But a tree is much bigger, much grander than a flower and it can provide shade to flowers.

Since we are like God, doesn't it make sense that Earth is 'like' Heaven? Wouldn't God put us in an environment similar to His? All accounts from people who have visited Heaven tell us that it resembles Earth; it is just so much more.

The Bible tells us that there is an organization to Heaven. His word literally talks of God's court and Jesus as our advocate or counselor.

Courts of Heaven

"Enter His gates with thanksgiving; go into His courts with praise."  (Psalms 100:4, NIV)

"Thus says the Lord of hosts, 'If you will walk in My ways [that is, remain faithful] and perform My service, then you will also govern My house and have charge of My courts, and I will give you free access [to My presence] among these who are standing here." (Zechariah 3:7)

Many people assume that Psalms 100:4 is referring to a courtyard, an entryway into a dwelling. The Hebrew used here could be translated as courtyard, playground, or King's court. Isn't courtyard usually a singular place? This usage of "courts" is plural. There are levels to the courts of Heaven, which will be discussed in another book; this lends to the fact that this verse could very well refer to a courtroom. Regardless of where you stand on Psalms 104, there are additional verses that refer to God's court and also refer to Him as Judge.

God is Judge

"A stream of fire came forth from before Him; a thousand thousands ministered to Him and ten thousand times ten thousand rose up and stood before Him; the Judge was seated [the court was in session] and the books were opened." (Daniel 7:10)

"...and to the general assembly and assembly of the firstborn who are registered [as citizens] in heaven, and to God, who is Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous (the redeemed in heaven) who have been made perfect [bringing them to their final glory]." (Hebrews 12:23 AMPC)

Jesus is our advocate

The Greek word "paraklētos" is defined as one who pleads another's cause before a judge, counsel for defense.