fourteen

it was a busy day in the cafe.

"black coffee for table five!"

"table ten hasn't received their breakfast croissant yet!"

"can someone wipe down table two? the customers just left!"

jieun was running around refilling napkin dispensers and delivering drinks from the barista to the customers. jaebum was quickly-- but kindly-- taking everyone's orders and reporting them back to the kitchen.

"watch out," jaebum said as he passed by jieun to get to the kitchen, affectionately touching the small of her back and her waist as she made her way through with a tray of water glasses. she smiled at him and whispered, "don't overwork yourself too much."

he playfully winked at her as he continued walking. "same to you."

soyeon watched the entire exchange from behind the cash register with a mischievous expression. 

"so, what's the deal between you and jaebum?" she asked as jieun made her way back behind the counter.

"nothing!" jieun said, waving her hands in the air. "we're just friends!"

"do you like him?" soyeon said, pointing at jieun. "you two go on dates a lot, and he picks you up after class."

jieun sheepishly smiled. "i didn't realize we went out so often until you pointed it out just now."

"so do you like him?" soyeon asked.

"i--"

"the cafe's finally starting to calm down," jaebum said, walking towards the two as he cracked his back. "how are you guys doing?"

"i stood here all day, so i'm pretty good right now." soyeon said, shrugging. "jieun looks pretty tired from running around all day."

"i'm fine, really." she said, waving off her comment. "it wasn't that busy. just crowded."

"ah, here." jaebum stood behind jieun and gave her a shoulder rub. "better?"

"yeah," she mumbled, avoiding the eyebrow movements from soyeon and her creepy gaze. 

"any plans after your shift?" he asked. 

"i have to work on an essay due tomorrow for my literature class." jieun said.

"oh," jaebum said, soyeon noting the disappointed look in his eyes.

"you?" she asked, looking up at jaebum, their faces very close in proximity.

"i don't have much," he said. "you wanna grab lunch before you start working?"

she nodded and smiled. "i'd love that."

soyeon smiled at the two before she walked away from the register towards the break room. 

once out of sight, her smile fell as she tried to keep the tears away.