Chapter 4

The remainder of the trip to Sparrow's Hallow went off without a hitch. Flies swarmed around them in a thick, buzzing cloud, which drew unwanted attention when they arrived at the Marshal's office with the dead bodies smelling ripe. The stench had grown so bad in the heat that Gunnar and his brothers tied bandanas around their noses and mouths to find relief.

After bringing their mounts to a stop, they looped their reins over the hitching rail in front of the weathered two-story building. Two windows, one on either side of the main office door on the lower level, stared like unblinking eyes, reflecting their ragged visages at them as they passed through the sturdy wooden door.

Esmund was the first of the three brothers to enter the building, followed shortly after by Ulric and Gunnar. Dust covered them in thick layers, muting the darkness of their clothes and billowing around them as they walked across the wooden boardwalk and entered the building. Sweat rolled in beads down their dirty faces, leaving pale tracks in their wake.

Five Deputy Marshals inside stopped what they were doing and watched in eerie silence as the three Berserkers entered the office and walked to the main staircase. Although they had washed after the wolf fight five days ago, blood still stained their clothes and was noticeable even through the dirt covering them.

All three brothers took after their father and were large in stature, Gunnar being the tallest of them all at six foot six and Ulric a mere inch shorter, but it wasn't their sheer size alone that made the very air come to a stand-still.

Scars marred each of their dirty faces, and danger emanated from the trio in waves. When they were among a group of 'normal' men, moments like these made it painfully evident how different they were.

Gunnar glanced at his brothers, walking in perfect unison through the large room and up a flight of stairs. They wouldn't like what he would say, but he didn't think they'd be surprised by it either. Chief Deputy Morgan Somers, Erik's older brother, exited his office as they reached the top of the landing.

Standing at the average height of five-foot-seven, he had dark hair like Erik's and a similar stocky build, but there was nothing else about him other than his last name to suggest they had been brothers.

In uncomfortable silence, hard blue eyes took in their appearance. Morgan turned on his heel in his usual abrupt manner and motioned for them to follow. Two other deputy Marshals followed into the room behind them and closed the door.

Not wanting to tarnish Erik's name and reputation, Gunnar gave an altered account of what had occurred to cause the death of Deputy Marshal Erik Somers, along with that of Heinrick Gunderson, and ignored the surprised looks from his brothers in doing so.

Staring at a hole in the wall behind Morgan's head, Gunnar took a quick breath and said, "Also, at this time, I wish to inform you of my decision to resign from the Marshal Service, effective immediately."

Morgan stood rigidly in front of his desk but didn't bat an eye at the news. "While I'm saddened to lose such a fine enforcer, I thank you for your years of faithful service, Gunnar."

He strode past the men without offering to shake his hand and opened the door. "I wish you well on whatever adventure lies ahead of you. Now," he said, giving them an expectant look, "if you'll excuse me, gentlemen...I have many pressing matters that I must attend to. Good day."

The moment the door closed behind them, Ulric's heated glare bored holes into Gunnar's back.

"That progressed differently than I thought it would," Esmund muttered.

"Which part?" Ulric growled. "When Gunnar lied about what happened or when he announced he was quitting without informing us first?" He walked around both brothers, his heavy footsteps sounding his disapproval.