Chapter 7

"Sorry to intrude the makings of a tender moment, but there's a bit of a situation..." Esmund whispered loudly.

Ulric sat up and placed his hat upon his head, proving that he had been awake and listening to his and Nora's conversation the entire time, just as Gunnar had suspected.

Casting a scowl his way, Gunnar sat back in his seat and glanced up at Esmund, "What is it?"

Before Esmund could answer, several petrified screams and shouts from the dining car behind theirs filled the air, causing everyone in their train car to sit up straight.

Suddenly, four women came running through the vestibule, hysterical and covered in blood, some visibly wounded. Two men ran after them, also covered in blood and shouting for help. The second man collapsed to the ground in the narrow aisle a foot away from entering the forward car.

"This is what I was trying to explain...there are four of us on the loose." Esmund punctuated the word 'us' with widened eyes and nodded politely to Nora with a fake smile. "I hoped to have you prepared before I... greeted them." His eyes lit up, and a smile touched his face when he said excitedly, "It's the perfect time to show you what I was talking about on the way to the station this morning."

"What is he talking about?" Nora asked, glancing between all three brothers.

Gunnar frowned at his brothers, unsure of what to say.

He wasn't about to alarm Nora by telling her they were Berserkers, but he had no clue what Esmund was talking about.

Ulric stood and raised his hands, hollering, "Remain calm; we're Deputy Marshals and will have this issue quickly in hand. Is there a doctor here who can see to the wounded?" He perused the terrified faces of the passengers, motioning a man over when he raised a trembling hand.

Ulric took the berry Esmund handed him and headed toward the vestibule, stepping aside as several more terrified passengers ran by. He turned at the doorway, "Neeners, be ready...just in case." He popped the berry into his mouth and disappeared from view.

Gunnar sighed but nodded. He had complete faith his brothers could handle four Berserkers without him needing to jump in. There was no cause to worry. He smiled at the people around him, hoping to show he was unconcerned with the turn of events to maintain control.

Nora turned to Gunnar, "Marshals? Just them or...of course, that would explain the state of your clothing and your rather fearsome appearances."

"Just the two of them—I retired today."

"Oh, you did?"

He nodded but remained silent, hoping that would be the end of the subject. Five seconds later, punctuated by the sounds of destruction and fighting, he saw the question shine in Nora's eyes and knew he wouldn't be so lucky.

"Does that mean Marshals are on a rampage in the dining car? Is that what your brother meant when he said there were 'four of us on the loose'?"

Gunnar gave a noncommittal shrug and smiled, then glanced over his shoulder. The fighting and screams grew louder and more frantic as dozens more people raced through their car and into the parlor car beyond.

Passengers watched him with terrified yet hopeful expressions. Panic would not help their situation, and he knew that was exactly what would ensue if he were to tell them there were Berserkers on the train. He needed to keep everyone calm, let his brothers handle the threat, and then pray their journey to Buffalo Gulch continued with less excitement.

Six minutes later—plenty of time for things to have been handled and returned to a semblance of normalcy—his gut twisted. A Berserker's roar rent the air, followed by china crashing to the floor, and then wood cracked and splintered with a deafening crash. When he heard Ulric's Berserker growl and Esmund's immediately followed, Gunnar knew something was wrong.