Chapter 28

A blanket of thick clouds covered the entire night sky when Vernon and Gunnar finished their day's work and headed home. The distinct smell of snow hung in the air as they rode side by side, slumped in their saddles.

The wind died down within the past hour, but it still flung dried leaves about without regard to the weary travelers.

Gunnar waited at the bend in the road, watching his father ride from view before turning down the lane to his home. He'd procrastinated returning as long as possible once they'd finished taking care of the bodies and scoured the mercantile for any further evidence and clues.

Briefly, he'd thought about talking to his father about what Ulric had said, but in the end, he'd decided against it and now wished he had. Asking Nora to marry him without first making sure she would claim him was a foolish mistake.

After taking his time getting Wasp ready for the night and rewarding her for their long day, he walked to the house. The bitterly cold wind whisked across his skin and quickened his steps toward the promise of warmth. Hopefully, it was late enough that everyone had sought their beds, and he'd be left in peace.

Gunnar took extra care to soften his footsteps going up the porch. Holding his breath while he opened the door, he stepped inside and closed it soundlessly, only to turn and find Nora. She wore the only dress she had in her possession since the day of the fire, and her curls fell in wild abandon around her shoulders.

Her hands were tightly clutched at her waist as she studied his face where she stood by the hearth, a welcoming fire blazed, beckoning him forward.

How was it possible to want nothing more than to take her in his arms and hold her after the torturous thoughts he'd struggled with all day where she was concerned?

He needed to keep his distance and sort out the mess they were currently embroiled in with 'The Angry Wolf.' Then, he could figure out what to do where his mate was concerned.

Keeping his back to her, he slowly removed his coat and scarf as though his life depended upon it. As Gunnar hung them on the wall hooks with methodical care, he wished he'd found his hat—it would have been one more thing he could use to buy himself time before speaking with her.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her fold her arms over her chest and arch a dark brow at him. It would appear she knew that he was stalling for more time.

He muttered a curse and turned to face her, but the moment he did, he realized it was a mistake. Firelight bathed her in soft warmth and made his fingers itch to reach out and touch her. "I thought everyone would be asleep by now..." he said, shoving his hands deep into his pockets.

"You thought? Or you hoped?" she said with a knowing look. A wince creased her features as her shoulders rose in a slight shrug. "I apologize. That came out far more spiteful than I intended."

"Does that mean you intended it to sound a little spiteful?" Gunnar asked with a small smile.

Nora bit back a grin, "Perhaps." She delicately cleared her throat, "Your brothers got home a little over an hour ago." She took two steps toward him but stopped, "I believe you know by now that I prefer not to mince words...so I'll speak plainly." Nora squared her shoulders and said, "I feel I have done something to upset you." Vulnerability shone from her eyes for a second before they became guarded. Her jaw was held at a rigid angle, even as she strove to appear calm and relaxed.

Gunnar swallowed and sighed as he looked down at his boots. Not knowing what else to say, he shook his head and shrugged. "No. It's—I've had a long day."

"You left earlier than usual this morning...without saying goodbye."

He nodded and met her gaze, refusing to give in to the urge to go to her. "I saw something on my way home yesterday—I was worried if I waited too long, it'd be missing this morning."