Chapter Six

It's like it's day one of being a Scout again. Levi pretending he doesn't even know me.

Combat training felt especially exhausting that day. She wasn't strong, that much was obvious, but she barely held her own against the thin as air new recruit that Jean was in charge of.

"Kirstein's recruit is kind of cute, isn't she?" Aeron asks her, sipping some water after having sparred with Connie. Sweat was dripping down his forehead, but he was smiling. "'Ey, Nora, think Jean is going to make a move on her or not?"

She giggles, glancing over at her ashen haired friend. "Come on, we both know he's too shy. Plus, they have a huge age difference."

"Claire is already twenty, Nora! She's old for a new recruit."

"She reminds me of Historia."

"Was the Queen always that pretty?"

"Of course. My entire class called her the Goddess. She was always kind and sweet. Although she was Krista back then. But you all know her story already."

They chatter more, watching everyone train. No one had to train as hard as they did now. At any moment Reiner could come back, or even Bertholdt or Annie. Or even worse, there could be more of them.

The two of them watched Captain Levi walk by. He glanced at them, but didn't say a word.

"Seems like he's still acting the same," she sighs.

Aeron runs his fingers through her sweat matted curly hair with a smile. "Ah, who cares. You got me for now. He'll come back around. I promise."

"I hope so."

"He'd give his life for you. When you really need him, he'll be there."

"I need him now."

"No, you don't." He smiles. "You just want him."

"I miss him," she begins to cry. "It's so lonely without him."

"Come on, Nora. Be strong. You're stronger than this. I know that, and so does he. He's looking out for you, in his own way."

______________

"Levi, you have to be reasonable here."

The raven haired Captain was sitting with his hands folded on a large wooden table. His expression was unsurprisingly bored. He exhales an annoyed sigh, rolling his eyes at the Commander. "Erwin, I already told you my offer."

"You know now more than anything that we need every soldier we can get."

"I want her fired."

"We cannot fire soldiers, Levi."

"I'll quit, then."

"No, you will not. Then we really don't stand a chance against the Titan shifters. And then Nora will likely die. Do you want that happening?"

"Then I'll-"

"You have no leverage against us, Levi." Hanji finally spoke up, narrowing her eyes at the Captain.

"Shit Glasses, stay out of this."

"No, Levi. I will not." Hanji crosses her arms, her usual smile gone and replaced with a stern scowl. "Erwin and I decided that we have to remain firm in a time like this, for not only the sake of the Survey Corps, but for everyone within the Walls."

"Where do you get off thinking you have the right to decide things like that?"

"While you were playing housewife these past few years, Erwin and I were trying to figure out anything that could preserve the greater good."