Prologue

jane

Maybe I wasn't meant to love. Maybe the universe decided I just wasn't worthy. Maybe I smell like a garbage can and I'm repulsive. Maybe aliens landed on earth and compelled everyone to not fall in love with me. Those goddamn aliens.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter much whether I haven't showered in weeks (it really, really does matter), or if bitter aliens came to my planet with the sole purpose of ruining any chances I might have of actually having a love life. I suppose I should thank them though. Saves me the pain and disappointment.

The point is if I've learned anything in the past year and a half, it's that you don't need someone else to be happy. Yes, it's nice to have someone to cuddle with. But I do not approve of making the common mistake of relying on someone else for contentment. And that is because you should be the reason for your own happiness. You should love yourself, too.

I also learned that everyone has someone for them. It might be the last person you ever expected to love, but they're there. For you. And you're there for them. You are there to protect them from what lurks in the darkness of the world, and what lurks in the darkness inside them.

At least you're supposed to be.