➵ 1

"Ron, I just heard the news, Harry was expelled," Hermione said to Ron in an almost whispering tone.

They were both spending the last few days before going back to Hogwarts at the Black's old home aka the Order of the Phoenix's headquarters. Hermione sat on the rug in the middle of the room and Ron on the edge of the bed.

"You're joking." Ron laughed.

"I'm not. There was a dementor attack where Harry was. He cast his Patronus in front of his cousin to save their lives and now he is getting expelled." Hermione informed Ron.

"Bloody hell,"

"Close your mouth Ronald, you'll catch flies." Hermione said nonchalantly, "Your dad said that Dumbledore talked the ministry into letting Harry have a fair hearing, it will be alright."

"If you're sure," Ron mumbled going back to munching on some chocolate frogs.

There was a long awkward silence between the two until they heard footsteps come up the stairs.

"Do you think that's Harry?" Ron asked. Hermione nodded.

Just then Harry walked through the door and was smothered in a hug by Hermione.

"Harry! Are you alright? We heard about the dementor attack. You must tell us everything." Hermione rambled.

"Let the man breathe, Hermione," Ron said.

"And this hearing at the ministry," Hermione continued, "It's just outrageous, they simply can't expel you, it's completely unfair."

"Yeah well, there's a lot of news going around," Harry said wandering the room.

Ron and Hermione exchanged glances. Harry and Dumbledore don't have the best reputation right now with the tragic death of Cedric Diggory and the ministry denying that Voldemort is back.

"So what is this place?" Harry asked.

"It's headquarters. For the Order of the Phoenix, a secret society Dumbledore created when You-Know-Who was around." Hermione explained.

Harry lightly nodded. He sat on the edge of the bed where Ron previously had sat. Ron and Hermione could tell that Harry was awfully upset and spaced out from the death of Cedric and Voldemort being back. Hermione decided to lighten the mood.

"Let's play a game of 'Witches and Ladders', shall we?" Hermione said. The boys nodded as Hermione set up her favorite wizarding game.

"Bit childish, this game is." Ron pointed out as he sat on the rug around the board with the other two.

"Well then it suits you perfectly, doesn't it Ronald," Hermione said. Harry chuckled.

Hermione and Ron looked at each other and smiled. Harry is maybe starting to feel better.

~

After about 20 minutes of playing the trio were all in a better mood, besides Ron's constant complaining that he is hungry.

Right as Hermione was about to climb the last ladder and win the game, the group heard a thud and a small scream, almost like a squeak from the girl's room down the hall.

"Was that the girl?" Ron asked Hermione.

"Who?" Harry asked, confused, looked at Hermione and then to Ron.

"A girl happens to be a friend of mine." Hermione said.

Harry just shook his head, "Care to elaborate?"

Hermione laughed, "Fine. She moved here from America. Her family is still there while her dad finishes work and then they will move, but her parents didn't want her to fall behind in school. Her dad talked to Dumbledore and he contacted my parents to care for her. She stayed with me over the summer. She was sorted into Gryffindor when she visited Hogwarts to meet Dumbledore earlier this summer." Hermione talked on and on, "I'll go see if she wants to join us, I'll be right back."