Chapter 2

.

     By the time I made it back home it was nearly one. I walked back into my room and took the vial out of my pocket. The neon glow of the purple liquid inside was quite lovely a very enticing color it looked delicious, but I knew better. 

I haven't had any need for its uniqueness in a while. The last time I acquired some was just because word had spread of its existence and I wanted to see if it actually worked. 

That was about twenty years ago, but I'm sure not much has changed in its taste or its side affects, both of which I would be enduring soon. I just had to wait for Andrew to leave for work which wouldn't be until eight.

 Andrew is like a son to me and best friend he became a part of my life when he was just 14 when I rescued him from his apartment building that was going up in flames.

 I saved him just in time, although the news reports would say otherwise. There were no other survivors Andrew's family included. I have been looking after him ever since. 

He's twenty-six now with a great job with possibly a promotion soon. I couldn't be prouder of him. We have been through a lot over the years always looking out for each other. 

I know he's going to hate me for the decision I've made . But I simply refuse to become one of those things those monsters, an Un-tydre as they are known to my kind, horrible mutated versions of our species.

 How ironic I thought all these years we were called monsters, evil ones, the silent killers that hid in the shadows of the night, and rightly so we still are, myself included. The things that I have done, and the innocents that I have claimed throughout my existence all in the name of hunger would make even the worst criminal on death row cower in fear.

 But now a new evil has emerged, and we only have ourselves to blame. Living like mini gods doing whatever we wanted to whom ever we wanted to do it to. This was our wake up call to make a change because if we don't we will not survive.

 The creaking sounds of the floor boards above me were all the motivation I needed to put the vial away in my lock box under my bed for later. Andrew was awake but why, it was way to early. I then heard him thudding along towards the basement door.

 He opened the door and turned on the light to see his way down the narrow steps. I was sitting silently on the bed. " Good morning" I called to him as he came around the corner. 

 "Oh good morning Marcus, sorry for barging in but I have to get some laundry done it just dawned on me that none of my work shirts are clean, do you mind if I use the machines?" as he gestured towards them to the side of the stairs. 

"No not at all have it." He threw his clothes in and started up the machine. He then let out a huge yawn while leaning against the wall.

 " Hey  I can see you're still tired so why don't you go back upstairs to sleep and I'll put the basket of clothes by your door when it's done."

"No it's ok,  I'm already awake so I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep anyways, so I think I'll head back upstairs and make some coffee. 

The sun won't be up anytime soon so you're welcome to join me if you like unless you have somewhere to go he said while staring at my zipped up jacket. 

 "Oh no actually I just got back, I had some business to deal with in the city." 

 He shrugged at my reply he could tell there was more, but he knew better than to pry any further he continued on,