Chapter 3

After taking my frustrations out on the washer and dryer and turning them into real scratch and dented appliances.  I was surprised the dryer was still working as I watched it spin the shirts around for a while. I then layed down to take a breather.

 Maybe it's better this way I thought better he get detached to me now, it might make it easier for him to stomach what's coming later. I turned over onto my side to get more comfortable just as I heard a heavy sigh then a soft knock come from the other side of the basement door upstairs.

 " Hey Marcus just letting you know I'm heading down to get my shirts."

 I sat up on the bed waiting for him to comedown. When he got to the landing he made an immediate turn to the left towards the machines.

 " I'm not even going to ask," he said while looking at my fist indentions. He opened the dryer and pulled out his shirts.

" Still a little damp but it'll have to do I'm running out of time." 

He then walked slowly over to me. He opened his mouth to speak but I already knew what he was going to say so I interjected. 

"Apology accepted,  and I know I have a bad track record where my temper is concerned but I didn't kill the guy, and before you ask again, I will not tell you where I was so drop it."

 " Fine but I did want to ask you one last thing about this whole mess."  " I know I don't have all the details about how he was killed but you don't think that an Un-tydre could have done this do you?"

 "Anything is possible but I don't think so unless your boss was a vampire. They are drawn to us and especially our blood, now that's not to say they won't kill a human if they are hungry enough but I've never heard about any of them specifically seeking out a human by breaking into their home, unless said human was poking around where he didn't belong and proposed a threat to them."

 " Well either way I have a few questions I'd like to ask during the briefing about this today."

 "You do what you want,  but be careful asking too many questions you might send suspisous eyes your way."

 "Thanks I'll keep that in mind I better head upstairs and get ready I have to leave soon."

 "Sure,  I hope you get the answers you're looking for." 

"Me too" he said as he headed up the stairs.

 It only took another half hour of patience until I heard the lasts sounds of him leaving out the front door and driving away. The time had come, I leaned down and pulled my lock box out from under the bed, and took out the vial.

I opened the top of it, the potent smell making its way through my nose and sending the message to my brain of  Whatever you do do not drink this. I downed the liquid in one gulp feeling it cut into every inch of my esophagus like swallowing a million razor blades.

 Now down to the rest of me changing things from the inside out. Next came the dizziness as the whole room spun around me like a never ending carasole. Intense pain then crawled all over my skin, it was working, it was almost over. 

My legs no longer able to support me I crashed to the ground. Once the pain and dizziness had ceased I eased myself back to a somewhat wobbly but standing position. My skin was now tingling all over from my fingertips to my toes.

 Now to put the poisonous liquid that resided inside of me to the test. I walked over to the basement door that lead outside, I opened it a little and stepped back into the shadows.I slowly waved my hand in front of the small beam of light coming in. I could feel the suns warmth on my fingers but nothing more. 

I then left my hand directly in front of the beam just more warmth no pain no burning or peeling of my flesh. The liquid had worked just like before an internal sunblock for my kind the blocking effects were off course temporary but should last long enough for me to accomplish the tasks at hand. 

 As I got myself ready to venture out there was a small part of me that didn't want to go anywhere, that thought maybe after the change I wouldn't be like all the others maybe I wouldn't crave to hunt down and kill my kind, or worse harm Andrew in any way. No, I had to stick to my guns for Andrew's sake.

 I finished gathering everything I needed for the trip, put it all in a large backpack and headed out. I flung the backpack over my shoulders as I sat down on the bike. I caught a quick glimpse of my reflection in the side mirror as I shifted my weight reaching for my helmet. 

There you are looking on with that same thirty-five-year-old charming face with no real stories to tell except for that one small, faint scar on your upper lip received on your last human day on earth, unruly blonde hair and sad, but convincing blue eyes. A face you've been wearing for the past... Dam,  over two hundred years.

 Oh well, Come on you handsome devil the time for past reflections is over  I thought as I rolled out and rumbled off into the distance. 

The trees I passed on all sides soon gave way to the towering high-rises up ahead just a few more traffic lights and I would be at my destination, the John Wellford's bank.