The Ruins No One Knows

Callum walked towards the ruins, leaves crunching beneath his feet. The sun was just starting to peek out from the tall trees.

Callum's legs were burning. He's been walking for twenty minutes now, which for a ten year old with a school backpack, combined with the fact that he got little exercise, was very difficult. It didn't help that his throat was beginning to feel like it was a desert. He really should have planned this more. How many miles did he walk again? He didn't expect the ruins to be so far. After all, two miles seemed so close when he was in a car.

Callum pulled out a water bottle from his backpack and started drinking the well-earned water.

Finally, after what felt like hours, though according to a watch was only ten more minutes, the exhausted boy pulled a vine out of the way to find the ruins, only much closer than he thought it looked from his neighborhood. He was shocked that no one tried exploring it. I mean, really! They just leave a giant castle unexplored? That's so stupid of them.
What will I find in there? I can see the headlines. Ten year old boy Discovers Treasure in an Unknown Ruins. The thought of that brought a smile to his face. Take that, teacher-who-thinks-archeology-is-useless, or Mrs. Harron, for short. Callum's thoughts were chaotic, jumping all over the place, as he started moving faster towards his dreams.

He finally got to the sign saying "DANGER. DO NOT ENTER. UNSAFE." He paused for a moment before walking past the sign again. He knew he was being reckless, but he knew since starting the journey. The ruins have kept him wondering for much too long, and he was going to see what was in there, even if it killed him.

His only regret would be not finishing that new Zelda game. It was only when that thought came to mind that he debated whether all of this was actually worth it.

A few steps later, Callum felt a tingling sensation. The boy looked up and couldn't believe what his eyes were telling him.

The dark looking exterior of the castle was now brighter as if there was actually people who were checking in the building. The grass surrounding the ruins which were definitely a dead brown was now green and full of life.

The ruins weren't ruins at all.

And there were other kids who appeared out of nowhere along with this newer looking castle, staring at him.