Chapter 13 - True Love Lies

Reader's POV

You stare down at the clear spring as your mind whirls around you. All the memories and feelings of your past trauma's swirl around you as if they had came to life. You see his reflection in the water causing you to jump with fear filled eyes. "Hey (name), it's been a awhile." He says his steel grey eyes staring over at you with a melancholy feeling. He looked exactly like the last time you had seen him. His long wavy sandy hair was pushed behind his ears and he was even wearing the same clothes.

"Sco-Scott?" You say in disbelief as you find your back braced against the nearest tree trunk.

"Hey," he says a soft smile covering his lips. "Look, you don't have to be afraid of me. I'm already dead." He jokes with a chuckle making your eyes narrow at him. "Sorry, that wasn't funny."

"No, not at all." You reply tears stinging your eyes.

"Look (Name), you need to stop beating yourself up for what happened to me. It wasn't your fault."

"How? How was it not my fault?" You yell out making him look down at the forest floor.

"It just isn't, okay?!" He yells out making you jump slightly at his tone. He sighs as he reaches forward to take your hand only to have it go straight through your body. His eyes turn sad as he looks back up into your eyes. "I guess I really can't touch you. He said it would be like this."

"He?" You ask curiosity feeling your mind.

"Uh, I think he said his name was Merlin? Weird guy, about yay high, your eyes." He chuckles as he runs a hand down his face. "Look babe, you didn't do anything wrong. I saw everything, after I died," He pauses his hands once again reaching out for you only to stop halfway. "Right, this would be so much easier if I could touch you." He pulls his hand back before he continues. "I don't blame you for what happened. I saw what that bastard made you do after he killed me. Knowing what I know now, I wish I could have saved you sooner."

"It just would have happened sooner Scott," You say your heart clenching.

"Yeah, I know; But perhaps we could have gotten away. We would have had a few days of happiness right?"

"Yeah, it would have been really nice Scott." You say your heart clenching tighter.

"But if we would've run off together, you never would have met Jefferson."

"Why? Why are you talking about him?" You ask as you push yourself up to kneel on your knees your body inches from his.

"Listen babe," He starts as he takes a deep breath and clenches his jaw. "I love you, you know that right?" You nod, "And at one point in time you loved me."

"I still love you Scott." You cry as you reach for him only to have your hands go through him. "Dammit!"

"I know you love me, but you love him more." He says and you freeze. "I've watched over you ever since that day (Name), and the way you are with him," He pauses offering you a soft smile, "You give him a smile I've never seen before. I know who he is and what he has done and it's nothing worse than what I've done."

"You didn't have a choice to do what you did. You did it because my father told you too."

"But I still did it (Name), I've killed people. Bad guys yes, but I've also killed innocent people." He gives you a soft smile as he continues, "I would have kept going if it hadn't been for you. (Name), I was a thug. I grew up in the slums where it was kill or be killed. I had killed people long before I met your father. That's why he hired me."