BEFORE CHAPTER ONE|

☰

She'd found bliss. Perhaps even true love behind the pamphlet entitled Riverdale. The gorgeous brunette's long, dark curls fell into her face as she sighed gazing at the monochrome photos.

A soft knock sounded at her door, and her father appeared. "V, we're leaving in a few minutes. Are all your bags downstairs?" Vaughn Sato watched his daughter smile and he couldn't help but let one appear on his own lips.

"Dad, that's about the third time you've asked me that question; nonetheless, the answer is the same - yes, they're downstairs."

"I-I just think you need to get away from River Heights. Get away from all this crime solving."

Valerie's eyes narrowed. "Dad, you don't get it. You most likely never will, but 'this crime solving' makes me happy."

"I understand that, kid. I really do, but I am your father and your well-being comes before anything else."

"Dad what-"

"I want you to promise me no more sleuthing at least while we're in Riverdale."

"Do you know how hard that is going to be for me?"

"You'll go to school, shopping, spend some time with teenagers, like your cousin Veronica. It's what you're supposed to be doing. Give it a try." Valerie swings her legs off the bed so that her feet are touching the wooden floor. Her father takes this as a cue to sit beside her.

"You know, I've always picked cases that help people." His voice softens.

"Others first," Valerie whispers to herself.

"That's right. But this one is a little different. If everything goes well, I could start making some real money."

Valerie looks at him dumbfounded. "We have enough money, Dad."

"I'll be the judge of that, thank you." The two of them laugh at this.

"Anyway, I'm starting something new I can't be worried about..." A phone ringing from within Vaughn's jacket pocket interrupts their heart to heart moment.

"I need to take this. Be downstairs and ready to go in 10, V."

◾︎◾︎◾︎◾︎

"Ned."

Rolling luggage behind her, she greeted her best friend who seemed to be holding a small box.

"What are you doing here?" Valerie asked, hoping that maybe he would say something or even do something that would make them more than friends. Valerie liked him. Still. Very much even if he told her once before that he only sees her as a friend. Nothing more.

"With all the commotion because of your sudden move, I didn't get to give you this." He steps closer, a strand of his dark blonde hair falling into his face. He smooths it back effortlessly with his left hand while handing her the box with his right.

Valerie smiles at him a little longer than what would be considered necessary for a show of gratitude. She lifts the lid. Her smile falters a bit when she sees the compass inside of the box.

"I needed a new compass because the old one's wobbly. Thank you, Ned!"

Ned nodded. "In case I'm not with you on your birthday."

Valerie gave Ned a weak smile. "That's so sweet. I just don't know if I'll get to use it."

"Why?" Ned asked. He was starting to wonder why he spent most of his own savings on an old-fashioned compass he found on Ebay.

"My dad let me choose the town we're gonna live in. He gave me a list of towns not too far from his new job. So I chose one with..."

"A mystery," Ned finishes for her.

"But not just any mystery. One of the greatest unsolved cases of all time - Jason Blossom."

"Who? I've never heard of him before."

"That's exactly what makes it one of the greatest mysteries. It's a little-known case."

"I thought you wanted something big?"

"This is big, Ned. They never found his body."

"Gee, that sounds like fun." He chuckles. "I know, right?" Valerie responds with genuine excitement.

"The only problem is that my dad's not letting me do any sleuthing."

"You were in a hostage situation last week because of your sleuthing. I can kind of see his point, but..." Ned starts but is soon cut off by Mr. Sato's shoulder slamming into him.

"Ouch!" Ned complained as he winces in pain.

"Nice use of that interjection, Ned." Valerie laughed while trying to pull him into a hug.

"Hi, Ned. Bye, Ned. Gotta scoot, Valerie!" He yelled as he was carrying his luggage to the car.

"Mr. Sato, some pfeffernüsse, just in case..." Valerie rolled her luggage as she followed behind Relli, her maid, who was busy screaming at her father about his eating habits. Ned trailed behind her with his head down and his hands in his jacket pockets.

"Bye, Ned. I'll miss you." Valerie said before she closed her door.

◾︎◾︎◾︎◾︎

HERE WE ARE, KIDDO. RIVERDALE, THE TOWN WHERE I GREW UP WITH YOUR AUNT HERMIONE.

❞