CHAPTER ONE|V&V; PART FOUR

"Can we join?" Veronica asked

"Yeah." Veronica and Valerie sat down, Kevin being in between them.

"What are we doing?" Veronica set her tray on the picnic table, flicking a crumb as she did so.

"Listening to one of Archie's songs."

"You write? That's cool." Valerie smiled at Archie.

"I thought we were going to have to pretend to like it, but it's actually really good." Kevin prattled, twirling a lock of valerie's hair.

"Wait, that was you singing? Something you wrote?" Veronica asked, finally catching on.

"It's rough." Archie stated.

"No, it's great." Betty defended.

"It's incredible, actually, the little snippet I heard." Veronica announced as if she were a talent scout; which caused Betty's smile to falter.

"Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with that?" Valerie's sincerity graced her countenance.

"Yeah, that's the plan."

Discussing music seemed to be a touchy subject for Archie. It didn't come as much of a suprise to Valerie when he changed the subject. "So how's you guys's first day going? Good?"

"Not to bad. I have Woodwork class after this, though. I haven't worked with wood in months." Everyone at the table watched with humor gleaming in their eyes as Valerie set her hunter green lunch box on the table. The girl set out an assortment of food, including a cupcake she had made herself last night. Valerie bowed her head in reverence as she gave thanks for her food. When she lifted her head she was met with curious stares.

Veronica coughed, capturing the attention of her newfound friends who were gawking at her cousin. "Not to be a complete narcissist, but I thought people would be more-,"

"Obsessed with you? Any other year, you'd be trending number one, for sure. This year, though, it's all about Cheryl trying to win the Best Supporting Psycho Oscar for her role as Riverdale High's bereaved Red Widow."

"Hey, I should go. I got that meeting with Grundy and then football tryouts, so." Archie rolled his lip into his mouth as he saluted his friends goodbye.

"You play football, too? What don't you do?" Veronica exhaled as she watched the red-headed boy's retreating back.

"Betty have you-," Valerie started to tease the fidgety blonde, but was shut down by kevin.