Chapter 3

I open the door to go inside. The band room air fills my nose. Home, sweet, home. I think to myself. The band room itself is around half of a building from the whole middle school. It's tremendously immense. The whole band room has 4 sections. The locker room, the glass room, the storage room and the section where we practice and play epic classical music, the band section.

Let me explain each one. The locker room is an entire room filled with various sized lockers, where we put our instruments inside. The glass room is a medium-sized room, with a door that has glass in it. Many of the loud instruments practice in there, for individual practice, or sectionals (practice with all the instruments from that specific section). I usually practice there after school on Wednesdays, because I have time to. The storage room is a little bit more extensive than the glass room. There, instruments that are not used are placed. Last but not least, the band section, where there are 3 elevations. Different instruments sit in each one. I go to where the clarinets sit, which is in the 2nd elevation of the band section, and see one of my close friends, Lavender. She plays a clarinet, just like me.

“Hey Gwinn. How are you doing?” she asks politely.

“I'm doing fantastic, what about you?” I respond.

“Okay, I guess. I have loads of scales to practice.” she says.

“Oh.” was all I could say. I learned my scales in beginning band, because one of my other close friends thought me them one by one. I grab my instrument case, and prepare to set up my clarinet. While I set up my instrument, Mrs. D is getting ready to start the class. Once I finish, I take a tuning note. I am clearly right on tune. Mrs.D comes up to her piano and chair, (where she conducts) and smiles to the class. She’s wearing a ruby red shirt, and a pair of ocean blue jeans. She’s also wearing some diamond flip flops, that look really neat and fancy.

“Good morning everyone!” she saids.

“Good morning, Mrs.D.” everyone responds in unison.

Usually when children respond to their teachers saying “Good afternoon”, or “Good morning”, everyone sounds like a zombie speaking, not going to lie. I have experienced it since kindergarden!

Mrs.D tells us to take out Fields Of Clover, a beautiful piece that sounds like a miniature 8 year old girl running around joyfully in a gorgeous field full of flowers of graceful pastel colors. We haven’t really practiced it and mastered the piece, but I think we will achieve something today. She puts up her conducting baton, and starts. The clarinets begin with a very pleasing solo, and then everybody joins in, and the field of flower starts to grow vivid. The emotion I get in this piece is just pure happiness. The writing of this piece is just perfect. Once I finished my part, the trumpets have an emotional ending, that fades. Mrs.D puts her conducting baton down slowly, like a turtle, and she grins widely. She tells the class that we sounded very gentle and welcoming. I felt relief, because we actually got through it.

Next, we play Adversary, which we have practiced like a million times. We got it down, for sure. Adversary sounds like a huge battle raging between 2 groups. Fighting till one wins. It is definitely one of my favorite pieces, for sure. Once we finish it, with a hard ending, I hear the bell.

Ding,ding,ding.

 Aw man! I think to myself. It felt like I had only been in the band room for 15 seconds! I sigh. After this class, I have science with Mrs.Felix. She’s actually very sweet, and she never gets angry at anyone. I pack up my instrument, put it in the case, and I go to the locker room. I place it in my locker and leave the band room.

Science class went by like the wind! Before I knew it, I only had one class left to go. Spanish class with Ms.Riesca. Her class was the complete opposite of Science. The clock felt like it was frozen, every second felt like a minute. I felt like taking a quick nap but Ms.Riesca is always aware and attentive of her students. We took an exam on verbs. It wasn’t super difficult, but it wasn’t simple either. It was in between. I ended up getting a C+, the highest grade in the class. Everyone else went from D+ to F. I was sort of proud, but I knew I can do way better. Suddenly, I started getting sleepy. Thank god the bell rang at that moment. I couldn’t wait to get home to take a lengthy nap, after all that has happened today.