Chapter 5: high school course selection

Hello everyone, sorry for that hiatus- I had some important things come up. Anyway, here's the chapter!

I know for most people in American high schools Februrary is the time to choose classes for the next year, and have first hand witnessed too many people waiting until the last day to think, then suddenly deciding their courses, eventually ending up selecting random courses. This is simply an inefficient system, 

(Note that a freshman often has little course selection, so this guide is for incoming sophomores- seniors)

A better way is to decide your strengths- and take advanced courses in those compared to random AP classes you take for the sake of others. Once you have 1-2 classes that you want to take and feel you can do well in, consider taking more- but this is a personal decision. If you have a 4.0+  GPA then more classes might be in order, whereas if you have a 3.2 GPA it might be better to avoid any college courses! The goal is to get a high GPA- while taking hard courses. If you take all basic courses and get a 4.0 a college knows less about your ability than someone who took 3 AP classes, and ended up with a 3.9 unweighted and 4.3 weighted (they give extra points for college classes to account for difficulty). Push yourself, but only to the extent you need to get a good GPA with decently difficult courses you are interested. Don't just go for 6 AP's to impress colleges and get C's in all of them! Use logic, responsibility, and trust yourself to determine what is a reasonable load you can handle- think about the time each course will take. For some a 3.8 GPA with no college courses maximizes their potential at the time. For others, 3 AP's and a 3.9/4.2 GPA may be where they fit. Their is a wide variety, and depending on the college you want, it  may not be as hard as you think to get the grades you want! 

Also, ask older peers that you know if the teachers are good or bad- the teacher often can make any subject as easy or hard as they want (My current Spanish teacher is harder than my AP world history teacher for example)!

Good luck in your course selections!