V-HARRY - The Boy With the Broken Smile

[A/N: Dedicated to @mrenderman111. This is a modified song line (I switched girl to boy). If you can tell me the title of the original song and the artist I shall give you a dedication. Also, this story is going on slow-update hold, meaning updates will not be as frequent as usual. I'm focusing on Minuscule and Losing Hope for the moment, but I will update this one. They'll just come slowly.]

Niall is sitting on the couch, wrapped in a blanket with an ice pack on his head. Liam is in the kitchen, and Louis dragged Zayn upstairs ten minutes ago and they haven't yet come down.

I sit next to Niall, watching his expression carefully. He looks fine, if slightly bored, but I've been wearing a mask for so long that it's easy to tell when someone else has one on.

"Niall, what's wrong?" I ask him.

He looks surprised, then shakes his head. Nothing.

"Don't lie to me, Niall. I know you're pretending to be alright. I know because - " I cut myself off, fast, before I expose my secret to Niall.

Niall shakes his head again, more gently this time, and reaches for the whiteboard on the coffee table. I grasp it and hand it to him. He writes something in his flawless cursive and then turns the board.

I'm fine, Harry. I'm just thinking. That's all.

"What about?" I question.

My music, he writes back. I write songs, and I play the guitar.

"Do you sing?" I ask. Then I mentally smack myself for asking such a stupid question.

Niall smiles, and his body shakes with silent laughter. In my head, he writes. What about you, are you musically inclined?

"I've been told I can sing," I mumble, suddenly upset. The last people I sang for were my mum and Gemma. And they're dead now. My fault.

Sing for me, Niall writes. I'll go get my guitar.

Before I have a chance to protest, Niall stands up and runs into the other room. He comes back with a beautifully polished guitar, cradling it like a child.

"How about this one, do you know that one?" I ask, pointing to a track on the case of an album sitting on the table. Niall nods and strums the opening bars. I start to sing quietly, changing the lyrics so that I can sing about Niall. And judging by the blush on his cheeks, he knows that I'm singing about him.

Beauty king of only seventeen, he
Had some trouble with himself.
He was always there to help him, he
Always belonged to someone else.
I drove for miles and miles and
Wound up at your door,
I've seen you so many times, but
This time I want more.

I don't mind spendin' every day,
Out on your corner in the pourin' rain,
Look for the boy with the broken smile,
Ask him if he wants to stay awhile
And he will be loved.

And he wi-

A loud crash and a lot of shouting sound from upstairs, followed by the slamming of a door. Zayn comes thundering down the stairs, flinging open the front door and slamming it closed with such force that the doorframe rattles. Liam sticks his head out of the kitchen, squeaking, "Thunder?"

"No, Zayn leaving the house," I respond. Lighter, pattering footsteps sound and Louis comes running down. His eyes are red and puffy, and tears streak his face.

"Lou, what happened? Why was Zayn so pissed off?" I ask gently.

"I think," he gulps, sniffling and trying to control his sobs, lifting his red eyes up to meet mine, "I think I may have really screwed up this time, Haz."

[A/N 2: Next chapter is Louis' POV. Should I do one in Zayn's POV after I do Louis'?]