6. Ego (Part 1)

Thank you for reading up to here!
There will be much more interesting plot turns!
And if you enjoyed reading, don't forget to vote!

------------

2302. 04. -

The girl is crazy. If she really is the daughter of Ethen Crowe, and things are as bad as they seem, she should be begging them to take her back into the RL. She should be up to date with all of the happenings in the Confined. At least Ethen Crowe was. Ethen Crowe was the only person that I actually thought was humane in the whole RL. He had become allies with us Confined and was determined to take us into the RL. The only connection we had with the RL. Other than him, the RL had complete control over us. He was the hidden card. The spy. The both-sider. The key to survival. Our only hope.

Now he was gone. Whether TITAN knew the plan or not, he had hidden his feelings on it quite well. TITAN's ignorance and underestimation toward the Confined had been betrayed as Ethen Crowe had sided with them. It all turned into hatred and mistrust. TITAN thought that the Confined were in on a rebellion and Ethen Crowe was our head leader. He thought that this was designed to remove him from authority. I've never liked TITAN. Not one second in my whole life, and I'm not planning to for the rest of it, either. I don't understand how he even got control, he's a complete madman. I'm sure that TITAN had been using unseen hands behind Ethen Crowe's back pretending it was going well. He had made Ethen Crowe comfortable, and therefore, in a much too relaxed state. Then, he let go of him right when everyone was watching. Ethen Crowe had been blind.

Violet Crowe (everyone knows her name) walked with dignity into the Desperado. Everyone was staring at her but she didn't seem to care. It was not because of her beauty (although she was actually quite attractive even without her fashionable items), it was because of the fact that her life pattern was actually rolling around along with the Confined schedule. She, who was once a top class citizen of the RL, was becoming one of us. That could not help but catch everyone's attention. When absolutely everyone was secretly spreading rumors and whispering about her, she finally exploded. I mean, I couldn't blame her. All the pressure from people staring would have driven me nuts. She was good at enduring.

Then she started getting beaten. The horror in her face spoke to me louder than words. "HOW DO YOU LIVE LIKE THIS?" her horror shouted. I wanted to go help her. I wanted to go and yank her from harm. The situation. The Confined.

I bet lots of other people felt like this at that time. This isn't love. It's pity. The fact that she had to go through so much things after all that she'd had, all that she'd been capable of doing, because of us. Everyone feels compassion. We all wanted to jump out of our lines and fight for her safety. But no one actually did. I didn't either. That's because I'm just an anybody. We're all anybodies.

The next day, her rampage continued. I don't understand why she won't stop. Her whole body was bruised and cut from being beaten. I wasn't in any better shape. I was still recovering from the encounter with the huge bulky guy who beat my guts out. But still, she's a girl! Finn said that hitting a girl was the worst thing you could do as a man.

I watched her with interest as she stomped into the Desperado to get her meal. When I thought she was going to finally be calm and wait for her food, she twirled around. I got a better look at her features and I couldn't help but gawking. Her hair was the color of coffee brown in the dim light setting, her eyes a mysterious murky grayish blue color that mesmerized me. Her ragged clothes didn't affect her looks at all, she just looked like she'd had a good game of soccer in the scorching sunlight. She was beautiful, although she did look like she hadn't showered for a while. I don't care, everyone looks like that in here.

She walked straight to a policeman. Her face was seriously red and full of anger. "Do you really mean to feed me this?" She pointed to our meal. It was just pumpkin bread.

The police tried to calm her down but she wouldn't cooperate at all. I didn't know what was going in her head at all, why she wouldn't have our meal today. It was the best menu of the month.

The next thing she did was the most terrifying action I had ever seen. I knew she was mad. Angry. But she was even more than that. She was uncontrollable. She stomped toward the bread, picked one loaf up, and shoved it into the police officer's mouth.

I gasped. Everyone gasped. The police froze.

"DO YOU EXPECT ME TO EAT THIS TRASH?" she screamed. The police officer raised his whip and prepared to hit her, but Violet Crowe's leg shot up first. It crashed into the police officer's nose and I was sure I heard bones cracking.

She started running from the police, even though she had nowhere to go. We all have nowhere to go. We are all too confined to move a muscle in this large Desperado, even though there are much more of us than there are police. She was just one of us now, not an exemption. The way she fought was helpless but brave. Somehow that made me feel better. That made me feel that I was not the only one who hated our society and the way we were treated. I know that sounds ridiculously selfish and self-centered, and yes, I am.

I sometimes wondered if my feelings about the society made me the only person who cared about justice. But I also thought of the possibility that I was the only person who was morally flawed just by thinking that I was the only nice person on earth. But here I was, looking at a girl that resolved my doubts against myself.

She was on the ground being beaten all over again. For her, this might be her own sieve frame. Waking up, staying still, fighting back, and recovering for another stubborn day in the future. She would do it every day until the police would do something worse to her.

For some reason, I didn't want that to happen. A girl I had just seen yesterday, who didn't even know who I was, made my emotions about the society bubble up inside of my deep sub-conscious, stimulating all of my muscles. I wanted to know more about my feelings. I wanted to know more about her. I wanted to stop her from getting hurt and there was only one thing that I had to do but had never done in my entire life as a Confined.

Interference.

I had never been a good fighter. Actually, to be honest, I am a horrible fighter. And still, I didn't hesitate at all.

I ran to them. I ran to her. I pulled a police officer off of her and threw a punch at him. His head snapped back and forward instantly with a stunned expression on his face. His expression quickly twisted into anger and he pushed me off of him. Soon, the police were off of Violet and all devouring me. Limb by limb, bone by bone, they attacked my every body part. Violet screamed and fretted. And after I received a blow to the head, I couldn't remember what happened next.

----------

Okay! So Violet and Ego finally officially met!
Although it was in a fight, they have great teamwork don't they?
If you liked this chapter give me comments or PM me and press the magic button of stars♡
It really warms my heart when you say you like my writings!
Thanks so much. Toodles!♡