Introduction

I N T R O D U C T I O N

The first week staying in the house and I have already been hearing noises.

Well, technically it wasn't a noise. It was a deep discussion outside my Grand pappy's house with hidden aspirations about who, or what they were talking about.

Right outside my home, right below my window to where I can almost make out syllables and formations of words. But for now it was a low hushed hum of grown men playing out matters too urgent and important to be spoken aloud. Why haven't I gone out to confront them you ask? Well, Im pretty conflicted about going out at two in the morning and risking my safety, or just listening inside because I'm too scared to create a plan of making their acquaintance. Also I'm not the most light on my feet for defense techniques.

Today is the third day of the intrusion.

I don't know how I wake up, but when I do, it's exactly the time the voices are conversing.

I sit; deadly still on my bed stressing and heart pounding while adrenaline gathers up In my system at a slow constant rate. My knees are pulled up to my chest while my breathing is heavier each second as I hear them down below. I feel my pulse in my ears and the silent hum of the air conditioning. But the most overpowering is the low conversation.

It continues for an hour straight and then it stops. Suddenly, abruptly, leaving me paranoid and a low uneasy rumbling in my stomach. As the night continues to play out, it leaves me wide awake and incapable to fall back asleep. Today is one of those nights.

Currently, I am in my bedroom with all the lights turned on in the house drinking from a mug full of hot tea. I haven't gotten sleep at all in three days straight and the affect is quickly taking a toll on me. I'm already falling asleep in my classes, and my boss is catching me dozing off every now and then.

Being a college student, it's normal to be tired and stressed. But when those sleepless nights are caused by something else other than homework and tests.... You need to be able to do something about it.

I peeked through the curtains covering my window and saw the dark eerie sky looming over the unkept garden. This house was beautiful once. I remember those sunny days with Grand Pappy. Sitting on the porch and drinking lemonade, taking breaks every so often to run through the sprinklers.

That was a long time ago and many things have changed since then. He's passed away, and I've grown up. The realization of that hit me hard when I first moved in four days ago. It was very heart breaking to see how much this house has changed since his passing. All it needs is a little TLC and it'll be back to normal, I hope.

My parents said his house was close to where my college was, and said it would only take a twenty five minute drive opposed to a two hour one. I immediately took the offer to own the home, knowing that Grand Pappy would want me to. I'm immediately starting to regret my decision living in a big rickety house all by myself. And the midnight visits were not helping the slightest bit.

I looked at the long vines curling up the bases of the huge pillars holding up the balcony. I remember I used to chase my cousins around those huge things, it would take me forever just to run around one. Even now I can't wrap my arms around them. They are the size of a huge tree trunk and almost as tall as one too.

I let the curtain slide back gently over the window, giving up on my search for whoever was out there. My cat Oliver mewled by the door almost causing myself a heart attack. "Oh my god." I put my hand over my heart, trying to slow it down with reassurance. "You scared me boy." He waded his way over to me, arching his back and rubbing it on my leg. I sighed distressed, going back over to my bed done with my tea. The beverage didn't calm me down the slightest as I hoped it would.

Today is the day I have to talk to someone about this. No matter how crazy it's going to sound, this needs to be dealt with. It's not my imagination, I know it.