Chapter 4

"Caged birds accept each other but flight is what they long for."

-Tennessee Williams-

***

Phoebe's P.O.V

I have been here for a week now. I'm tired, scared, and feel like I'm losing my energy. I mean, all they truly feed me with is plain oatmeal in the morning and a toast at night time. Who can survive on that alone?

The man who I know is called "Edgar" has always come here every morning and night, just to bring my food. I still don't want to talk to him, and he doesn't care about it as well. But I'm still questioning, as of why they don't just kill me now? I mean, no one is going to look for me anyway, so why even bother?

But honestly, rather than dying from hunger, I think I'll probably die out of boredom because there is nothing I can really do here.

This morning I woke up, and he comes in like usual. This time, he is bringing a bowl of fruits and some peanut butter and jelly, which takes me by surprise.

"Here, your food." He says in his usual low and husky tone.

I stare at him with a hint of confusion showed on my face, and he stares back at me and opens his mouth.

"What?"

I gulp and gather my courage to speak.

"Are you, okay?" I innocently ask him, because if he brings something this 'nice' to me all of a sudden, I'm afraid that he might have hit his head or something,

He surprisingly, chuckles on that question, and this is the first time I've seen him chuckle. His gray eyes look a bit lighter than usual, which implies he is not really on a bad mood.

I sigh in relief, then he puts on his usual poker face once again.

"Let's just say, I decided that it would be better if I, no, we, treated you a bit better, since you will be staying here for a long time anyway."

Those words are like storm on my ears, I move closer to the cell bar and I slowly wraps my hands on those.

"You can't do that! I need to go home as soon as possible!"

He remains cold looking and turn his head at me. He gives me a cold glare, that sends shivers to my spine, but then he turns away and quietly speaks again.

"Don't worry, we've got you a room here, so you don't have to stay in this cell, now with that, you're staying, and you're moving there tonight."

With that, he slams the door shut.

Oh gosh, that thought is worse than this.

***

It's night time and after I've eaten the dinner which is a plate of pasta (I know, surprising), Edgar and some of the men I recognize as Victor and Matvey, are talking outside of the door, but they are talking loud enough for me to hear some of their conversation,

"Are you sure you want to do this, bro? I think you're a bit too soft on her." Matvey speaks to Edgar.

"What are you saying Matvey?"

"Well, you know, it's kind of, unusual for you to... ehm... being nice, to a hostage on this matter."

"She is not exactly a hostage, and also, until we find out what to do with her, she's staying, and I can't risk her dying in that filthy place, if she gets sick due to the condition, who is going to take care of her anyway?"

Both of the men remains silence with his words.

"Well, I guess you're right." Matvey speaks again, and at this time, I hear the door opens, but I'm pretending to be asleep.