Chapter Five

"Enter," I said, resting on the edge of my bed. Ay strode into the room, in a manner that suggested he was more important than me. I didn't like that. But why was he here? It must've been something important; otherwise a servant would've delivered the message.
Ay bowed. "Princess. Your attendance is mandatory in the Grand Chamber. You father has important guests from the Land of the Gold, and as a result, he wants his entire family present."
"When? Do I have time to dress accordingly?" I looked critically at my simple play dress. Plain and boring, it had nothing that signified wealth, except that it was clean.
Ay shook his head. "Sadly, no. The Pharaoh and his Queen are already in the Grand Chamber, waiting."
I nodded. "Very well. Please escort me there."
Ay had said that only mother and father were waiting, but by the time I had arrived, Tutankhaten, Neferneferure, Meritaten, and a few of my father's other wives were already there, although it was my mother sitting on the matching throne next to my father, wearing the golden crown that signified a Queen.
Ahset hurried in with Neferneferuaten Tarsherit, and then the only one missing was Smenkhkre. I couldn't imagine what he was doing.
We waited in an uncomfortable silence. Even the common observer could tell that father was agitated and stressed. Whatever these visitors from Nubia wanted, it must have been important.
"Where is he?!" Father snapped.
As soon as those words left his mouth, a side door burst open. Smenkhkre rushed in, kneeling at father's feet. "My sincerest apologies, Your Majesty." It was obvious he was about to say more, but Ay rushed forth. "No time for chitchat! The princes are important! Now, Meritaten, you stand next to the Queen, and Ankhesenpaaten, yes you stand next to your sister, and the two younger princesses, you stand next to Ankhesenpaaten. Smenkhkre, stand next to your father, and Tutankhaten, next to your brother. Yes, yes. Now, everyone else, you all must stand with me, to the side. My Pharaoh," he said, bowing. "Is there anyone else you wish for me to gather? Or do I have your permission to let in the Golden Princes?"
Father considered. "Where are my advisors? And the guards? Surely you would sent for guards?"
"Of course. I will be right back with those whom you wish." As soon as he left, father rounded on Smenkhkre. "Where were you? The Nubian Princes are waiting, right outside that entrance, and you have the decency to be late! Had you not taken your time, they would be in here now, discussing propositions. What do you think they are going tell their King about us now? That we are a lazy, puny, desert tribe who have no consideration for others? Merely because my son, heir to the throne, decided to be late on a day of most importance! What were you thinking?"
Smenkhkre cast his head low. "I am truly sorry, father. You see-" He was cut off for the second time, as a door burst open. In came a small squadron of guards and soldiers, lead by the General, Horemheb. Amongst those guards was Sete.
They all positioned themselves in various places in the chamber without a word being said. Horemheb, however, took on the role of protecting us directly, locating himself directly next to Tutankhaten. Following the soldiers was Ay and the other advisors, who all stood along the side, except, of course, Ay. He instead stood in the middle of the hall and cast a quizzical look at my father. He nodded. Ay then, silently, walked up to the main, huge doors of the Grand Chamber and opened them, revealing the two Princes of Nubia, Land of the Gold. Ay bowed to them. "Princes of the Gold, may I present to you, the mighty Pharaoh of the Great Land of Egypt, Ankhenaten; The Queen of Egypt, the beautiful Nefertiti; the heir to the throne, Prince Smenkhkre, and the rest of the Royal Family." Ay bowed again and retreated back to his position with the rest of the advisors.
The two young princes walked up the corridor before stopping in front of my father and bowing.
My father nodded. "My most sincerest apologies for the delay. We were....held up." He glared not-so-subtly at my brother, whose face remained emotionless. "Nonetheless, we are here now. I do hope your trip was not too tedious. But yes. What is it that brings you so far?"
One of the princes cleared his throat. "My father sent my brother and I to discuss you your gold usage. As you are aware, my father is more than happy for you to continue using us, but he wants an increase in the price you pay. He says that Egypt is loyal to Nubia, but the gold demand is increasing."
They started talking business about the gold, which seemed was the only reason they were here. All that talk bored me, so I didn't really listen. I had to pretend I was interested, however. We all did. We were on display, to prove to the foreigners that Egypt was a good, bountiful land run by good, fair, strong people. If we appeared bored and weak, it would cast a bad light on the nation.
Father nodded. "Well, you take the proposition back to your father, and feel free to return with the answer. Your family are welcome in Egypt anywhere. For now -" Father began to cough violently. He raised a small cloth up to his mouth, but when he took it away - unseen by the two princes - there were small speckles of blood on it. I looked at my sister and mother. Meritaten looked straight ahead, but mother was aghast. She had seen it. I glanced at Smenkhkre, but he was doing the same as his wife. It appeared no one else noticed.
Father smiled hastily, quickly covering the cloth so the Nubians could not see. "For now, you are our most esteemed guests. You are welcome to the same privileges that my sons are, while you are residing here. That will be all, you are dismissed."
The Nubian princes bowed and walked out. As the door shut behind them, a flurry of people surrounded my father.
Unsurprisingly, Ay was in the centre. "Sire, are you alright? Do you wish for me to send for the physician? Perhaps you should lie down a while. We can entertain the guests without your presence being required."
Father waved them away. "No, no. I am fine." He rose out of the throne, but his legs gave way and he collapsed back. Mother swallowed. Smenkhkre looked positively terrified. I remembered the other night when I had overheard him confessing to father that he was scared about becoming the Pharaoh one day soon. That he wasn't ready. Looking at him now, I saw that his thoughts had not changed.
The flurry started up again, with Ay shooting orders at everything and everyone. It was a bit infuriating at times, but he was the Vizier. He had to look after the Pharaoh.
Mother turned to my sisters and I. "Girls, you must leave. Meritaten, go get Smenkhkre and comfort him, for the love of Aten! He is almost shaking! Ankhesenpaaten, go with your sisters and Tutankhaten to find Ahset. She will look after you all. Now, run along. This does not concern you," she added firmly, looking directly into my eyes. "No matter how inquisitive you might be." And without checking to see if we would do it, she turned back to my father and started whispering something I couldn't hear to him. I took Neferneferure's hand and indicated for Tutankhaten and Neferneferuaten Tarsherit to follow me.
We walked out of the Grand Chamber, but I was not paying attention. They were always treating me like a small child, sending me along with the others to Ahset so that I could be taken care of. I was not a child anymore! I did not need anyone to take care of me. I had done things not even they could imagine. I had eavesdropped on the Pharaoh, gone out into the darkest corner of the city via a secret gate, and made friends that mother and father definitely would not approve of. I was just as capable as Meritaten with anything they relied on her to do. I was not like my sisters; too young to understand anything. I understood a lot more than my parents wished to believe. With Meketaten gone, I was the second eldest daughter. I did not want to be treated like a mere child anymore. I had, quite frankly, had enough.
However, I also knew my place. While I was a princess - the daughter of the mighty Pharaoh of Egypt and his Queen, I was still one of my father's subjects. I knew not to disrespect them, and now of all times. If I were to bring this up discreetly with mother, now would not be the right time.
Neferneferuaten Tarsherit tugged on my arm. "Ankhesenpaaten, where are we going?  Mother said to take us to Ahset," she pointed out, and I realised we were at the palace gardens.
"Oh, sorry," I laughed quickly. "My fault. I was distracted. Come on, let's all go inside and find her, shall we? Perhaps she is in the schoolroom."
We walked inside along the newly cleaned tiled floors. I guessed that this was because the 'Golden Princes' were present in the palace.
I guessed correctly. On the short walk to the schoolroom, we passed at least a dozen cleaners merely cleaning the floors. We even saw a painter and scribe transposing this very event on the walls of the corridor. I don't know what my father compromised with the Nubians, but it must have been important.
We walked in on Ahset and Ahmose having a quiet conversation. "But what will happen? He's not ready! He's only a child!" exclaimed Ahset.
"Whatever happens, it will all happen for the best. Should he become...Oh, hello children. I did not see you there," Ahmose faltered. "What is it you children want?"
Tutankhaten took a step forward. "The Queen sent us to find Ahset so she could look after us all, including Ankhes -"
"Yes, including sending me to find you, Ahset, but did not require me to be in your care. Besides, I have other things to do." I had to cut my brother off. As nice as Ahset was to me, I did not want to be treated like a child any longer. And I did have things to do, things that could not be done with Ahset around. I smiled grimly and left the room.
Walking in the same direction that we had come, I heard a strange sound from Meritaten's room. I peered in quietly, and saw that Meritaten was lying on her bed, crying. I didn't know whether to go in or not, so I decided to watch for a bit at first.
"I can't be Queen!" she sobbed. "I can't! We are not ready!"
"Meritaten?" I asked gently. "Are you ok? What's wrong?"
She sat up, and blinked. "Nothing. I am fine."
I sat down besides her. "You are not going to be Queen just yet, you know. Father still has some more years in him." But she shook his head.
"That's just it. Father doesn't have more years left. Aten wants him now." She broke down in tears again. I was confused.
"What do you mean? What happened after I left?"
"Well, I had to take Smenkhkre outside, to calm him down a bit," she hiccuped. "But as soon as we heard father was finally in his chambers, we went to see him. When we got there, there were about twelve physicians surrounding him, as well as mother and Ay. I thought we should leave, but Smenkhkre disagreed. He said it was his duty, as heir, to witness this. He went up to speak to father, while I stayed close to the door. But I overheard a physician saying to mother that none of them know what has happened to the Pharaoh, but that it is sinister, and if they can't treat it now, father will die in a matter of days. He never did get over his sickness earlier this month. But when he dies...Smenkhkre will be Pharaoh, and as his wife, I will be Queen. I'm not ready!" she sobbed once more. "All the tasks and responsibilities. I don't know if I can do it!"
I patted her shoulder awkwardly. "Sister, if father does die, and you do become Queen, well, there is nobody I would rather trust with the welfare of Egypt."
Meritaten looked at me through tear-strained eyes. "That is all well and good for you to say it, and maybe even believe it, but it makes no difference if I do not believe it."
I was at a loss for words. What are you meant to say to that? My sister was going to be Queen, and she didn't think she could do it.
I realised that right now, while Meritaten was crying silently and I was just sitting there, we were bonding - something we hadn't done in years.
Maybe, all this time, all I had had to do was just be there.
I stood. "Why don't we go to visit father, and see if Smenkhkre is alright. Perhaps there has been an improvement."
Meritaten was silent for a while. I thought she would tell me to leave, but instead she stood up too. "Ok."