Chapter Twenty-Six

Tutankhaten and I were immediately ushered into the Great Hall, where the banquet was to be taking place, and seated in matching thrones. We were, after all, the guests of honour. However, I was confused as to why we were seated in the thrones. What about the Pharaoh and the Queen? Where would they be sitting? Would we have to move as they entered the room?

My brother and I stood as the first guests arrived with gifts, and thanked them for their time.

As the party truly began to get going, and all the guests had seemed to arrive, I finally managed to have a word with Tutankhaten.

"Is this what you meant this morning?" I asked, referring to when he saw me in the cell earlier.

Tutankhaten nodded. "Yes. It was the first thing I could think of."

"How did you approach Smenkhkre about this? And so early, too?"

Tutankhaten hesitated. "Nobody had slept that night. There had been some...troubles, at the entrance, so we were all on high alert. After it had been calmed down, we were told to go to sleep, but I knew it was the perfect opportunity to see you. So I snuck into the kitchen, got the grapes, and went down with the money. I knew it would be easy to bribe the guard, and I was correct. Afterwards, I knew Smenkhkre would not be asleep. So I approached him, saying that with all the troubles going on I thought we should get married before it was too late. I made him see reason. In fact, I believe he was quite surprised that I had said something like that. But he always doubted me, and never gave me a chance.

Anyhow, that happened. He agreed that it was to take place this morning. I was shocked that it would be so soon, but you would also be out of that treacherous place, too. Besides, it would not be any different to what we are like now, would it not?"

I had no idea what to say. On one hand, my brother was clearly keeping a secret from me. But on the other...my sweet child of a brother was growing up right before my eyes. His body covered his true age. My little brother, my baby brother who would beg me to abandon my studies so I would play with him; who I would kick the leather ball to; who would spy on the guards...he was no longer that child. He was no longer a little boy. He had grown into a man right before my eyes. He may only have been nine but my brother had to grown up more quickly than any other nine year old in the city. He was already married, even! I stared at him in awe.

Tutankhaten chuckled. "What? Is there something on my face? I have not even had anything to eat yet!"

I grinned, and shook my head. "Worry not, brother. I am simply teasing."

He rolled his eyes at me. "We are not even married for an hour, and yet you are already annoying me."

I gasped in mock-horror. "Brother, how can you say that? I am your big sister! I am not meant to be annoying."

Tutankhaten snorted at that. I suppose it was funny, in a way. But before I could react, the huge doors on the opposite side of the room to where we were sitting opened.

The room fell silent and the people collapsed to the ground, bowing to the Queen and Pharaoh. After a moment's hesitation, I rose from my throne and bowed to my brother and sister too, watching Tutankhaten copy me out of the corner of my eye. But why did we have to? They were our siblings. We all had the same father. Why would we have to bow to them?

Nonetheless, we did anyway, but only because we were in public. If we were in our private quarters I would not be bowing to Smenkhkre. Not after what he had just put me through.

Smenkhkre glanced around the room, observing all the high nobles bowing to him, and with his eyes finally resting on my brother and I.

"Continue your celebrations!" He shouted, not taking his eyes off of us. "Do not stop!"