Worksheet

"No talking, texting, chewing gum, looking around, tapping pencils, whispering, fighting, arguing, and leaving before 4:30," Mr. McLean listed, his hawk eyes sweeping around, scrutinizing each and every one of us. When his eyes reached me, I cringed and felt my insides heat up. This was the first time I'd ever had detention. Now I had a week's worth of it. Ugh. 

"All right?" I was the only person who nodded, the others just slouching in their seat, or about two seconds away from drifting off to sleep. He continued on, "Now, I want each of you to finish this calculus worksheet. Read ALL the directions first. Each wrong problem results in another day of detention. Got it?"

Seriously? I'm so gonna have a year of detention. Groaning, I dropped my head to the desk, hitting my chin hard on the table. "Ow!" I rubbed my chin, glancing at Mr. McLean to check if he'd seen me. Sure enough, he had. How could he not, considering how loud I'd been? 

"Problem, Miss. Papadakis?" His left eyebrow quirked up, expecting a response.

"No, sir." I replied. He rolled his eyes at my totally unexpected response. (Note the sarcasm.) Turning his back to me, he began passing out papers. The other students took it, glanced at it, then promptly rested their heads on it. Guess they didn't care about detention.

When he got to me, he handed me a worksheet saying,"I expect you to get every question right or we will become friends, if you catch my drift." I stared at him in reply. Did he really have to phrase it that way? Yeuuh. I shuddered visibly, which obviously, he saw. "Then get cracking!" He ordered.

This time, I just bent down over the worksheet, rolling my eyes. Scanning my eyes over the directions, I read, 'Please show work. Read each problem before attempting any of them.' 

*30 Minutes Later*

Almost done! I just had to finish the fortieth question. It read, 'Do not answer any of the questions but this one. Write your name on the paper.'

Dumbfounded, I looked back at the directions- 'Please show work. Read each problem before attempting any of them.' 

What the heck? My jaw dropped open. I really should follow directions. Sighing, I started from number one and began to rub out each question, moving my hand back and forth, side to side. When I was done erasing, I checked the front to make sure my name was on it. Sure enough, it was. Walking up to the desk, I thought, 'Does he do this to every student in detention? Or is it just me?'

Mr. McLean took my now disheveled paper, noticing all the eraser marks. "This is what happens when you don't follow directions," he said, the corners of his lips twitching up. He continued to stare at me till I realized he wanted an answer.

"Oh! Yes sir."

"You may leave." I nodded in response, shuffling towards the door. "Wait. You still have four more days of detention with me, right?"

"Yes."

"Hmm. I'll tell you what. If you tutor one of my students, I'll drop all your detention. I'll also write you the recomendation to UPenn you've been asking for. How's that sound?"

"Yes! Yes! I'll do it! Thank you so much!" My downcast mood instantly lifted. UPenn was my dream college!

"Excellent. I'll let you know who it is later in the week. See you later!" He dismissed me, going back to grading papers. I skipped out the room happily. Yes! No more detention and a recommendation!

Whaddup guys? Hehe... Sorry this is so short, but stuff happened, right? TTYL! BTW, I changed my username, in case you hadn't noticed... ;D