| Chapter III || Not Our Quest, Going Anyway |

*August 23 XXXX*

*Percy's Point of View*

Annabeth left, because of dagger training or whatever, and I was left with Tyson on Half-Blood Hill, watching the border patrol as they marched back and forth.

"Tyson, what would you like you to do?" I asked.

The large lump just shrugged. "I dunno." He gave me a smile, his one eye gleaming chocolate brown, reminding me of an adorable little calf.

I sighed, turning away from him once more. This time, however, I was facing camp. I always marveled at how one could manage to see everything from this one spot. I could see the cabins, all nestled together in their large Ω formation. I could see the strawberry fields, where the satyrs and dryads and children of Demeter were scurrying up and down the rows, tending to the produce. I could see Annabeth's flash of blonde hair as she fought, sparring with her fellow cabin mates in the Arena.

"Let's go to the beach. Maybe there I'll feel better about this whole thing," I said.

"Okay!" Tyson agreed cheerfully.

I made my way down the grassy hill, Tyson bouncing along beside me. His weight caused the earth to tremble slightly with every bound.

Reaching the beach, I removed my shoes, walking along the sand. I could feel the grains parting for my feet, squishing between my toes. I've always loved the feeling of walking through sand. Tyson ran ahead, his shoes also removed. He was wiggling his feet around, burying them in the dry sand, making footprints in the wet sand, and generally acting like an excited little kid.

I smiled. Tyson was still a kid by Cyclops standards, so it was nice to see that he was able to act like one, even with his supposedly "vicious" nature. Many looked at Cyclopes and saw monsters. I mean, technically they were monsters, but they only saw a freak of nature, whose only purpose is to destroy. In reality, Cyclopes were nearly the same as humans. They had to eat to survive. Them eating demigods is the same as humans eating animals. To animals, a hunter seems to be a monster.

I stopped. Looking out at the sea, I felt the fresh breeze on my face. I could hear the gentle roaring of the tides as they smacked up against the sand. The smell of salt stung my nose, but I didn't mind. I was home. I was in the place where two parts of my heart and soul combined. The vast expanse of green-blue liquid held so many mysteries, while in the opposite direction, the camp that I'd come to love held many of the people I cared about.

The sea tugged on me, wishing me forward, but I remained standing in place, closing my eyes and allowing myself to experience the peace that the rushing waves and salty scent of the sea brought.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

I jumped as a voice sounded behind me. I turned and saw-

"Daddy!" Tyson yelled, running towards Poseidon at full speed. He tripped once or twice in the sand, but I was surprised when he didn't faceplant either times. I would've. Tyson crashed into our father, nearly knocking him over, but he was a god. He stood standing.

"Hey! Whoa, you're getting big!" he said, a large smile overtaking his face. The wrinkles around his eyes deepened happily as he did.

"Hey, dad," I said as Tyson let go. After Tyson stepped away, I wrapped my arms around our father, giving only a light squeeze before releasing him. I smiled at him for a little while, before my expression morphed into a confused one. It was time to talk.

"Dad, why are you here? I know it's not just to say hello."

Poseidon sighed, turning to look out onto the ocean again. He was silent for a few minutes before turning back to look at me. "Percy," he started, "I know what you're about to do. I know, not only because I am a god, but because I am your father. I know you, and there is no way that you, being you, wouldn't go after the fleece."