| Chapter VII || One Star - Would Not Recommend |

*August 24 XXXX*

***

The dungeons of Luke's ship were located in the boiler room, and they were anything but accommodating. The four of them were stuffed in the very back corner, behind a few large machines. They were cramped in two makeshift cells, only separated by thin layers of chicken wire.

If the situation were any different, the cells would've been very easy to escape from. Tyson could easy tear apart the wire like soggy tissue paper and they'd be free, as right outside the door of the boiler room was a conveniently large porthole that Annabeth had noted on the way in.

Unfortunately, the Fates weren't on their side. Those three old hags had decided to weave misfortune and danger into every string of their lives, especially for this adventure. Both Percy and Annabeth could envision the ladies sitting in their rocking chairs, knitting away like any other dear grandmother. They'd sit, their legs crossed and their needles clicking, ever-pleasant smiles on their faces.

As result of their satisfying grievances, Luke had made the decision to place several guards in and around the boiler room. Several exceptionally large Laistrygonian giants stood watch. Their spears stood straight and their faces were masks of anger, showing in the scowls and deep frowns they wore.

Annabeth frowned at their closest guard, leaning back further against Grover, who shared her cell.

"They don't look too smart. Maybe we can trick them into letting us go," Grover suggested into her ear.

She shook her head furiously. "They may have less brains than most plants, but they won't disobey Luke or his master. We have to figure out a different way to get out." She scowled suddenly, "If only I had my bag right now!" She'd muttered the last part under her breath, her eyes wandering longingly over to her blue backpack.

It was hanging in the corner of the room, on a jutting steam pipe of one of the massive engines. It swung almost lazily in the gentle rocking of the ship on the waves, the zippers jingling ever so slightly. It seemed to taunt them from its position, just to the left of the guard, who was currently scratching deep in his nose. The two demigods and satyr shivered in disgust, but Tyson didn't seem to either notice or care about the in-progress gold digging.

"You know," Percy said suddenly, "Whenever I asked my father to go on a cruise over the ocean, I never thought it would go quite like this. I kind of imagined myself on a deck chair, sipping a cold drink while watching people around me, enjoying themselves. I think this whole thing had ruined cruises for me. Forever." The air of finality and aloofness in his tone was almost enough to make his companions chuckle, but it wasn't quite what they needed to lift their spirits.

Tyson sighed, snuggling closer into his older half-brother's side. "I miss daddy. He always loved the ocean. He'd be upset that we are so sad in his ocean."

Percy wrapped his arm tighter around his baby brother. He might've been shorter than Tyson by a whole foot, and his build was much less bulky, but he was still the older brother, and he couldn't let his baby brother cry.

Suddenly, his reassuring grip loosened, and his eyes widened so much they nearly popped out of his skull. He jumped to his feet.

"Tyson! You're a genius!" he cried, tears of relief nearly running down his cheeks.

Tyson looked up at Percy curiously, his single eye blinking in surprise. "I am?"

"Yes!" Percy wrapped the confused cyclops into a tight hug before running to the opposite side of the cell, near the tiny porthole - their only connection to the outside world.

He placed his hands around the metal frame and closed his eyes, focusing. The muscles in his face and arms twitched under the smooth surface of his skin, giving away the calm facade he'd placed himself in. His stomach suddenly tightened, the knot of unused tension that came with his powers finally unraveling.

The boat jerked, throwing everyone and everything to the left.

Percy groaned, his eyes growing restless beneath their lids as he focused harder. His whole body trembled as another sharp tug jerked his lower abdomen.

The boat lurched again, this time, to the right.

The guards stumbled, growing and yelling as Percy, but he continued to call the water, sending them all into one corner of the room. A large machine fell directly on top of them. Dust exploded throughout the room as the guards were no more.

"Great shot, Perce!" Grover cheered from where he was struggling to keep himself from tumbling everywhere. He, Annabeth, and Tyson were all hanging on the chicken wire. It was digging into their hands, and twisting with the movement of the boat, but it kept them from getting too bruised up, so they remained where they were.

Finally, Percy was able to knock another machine, this time causing it sliding towards them. The impact caused a loud bang like the popping of a soda can, and as the machine slid away, it left a large hole in Percy's cell.

He turned, a look of triumph on his face. Quickly slipping through the jagged hole, he held it open for Tyson to climb through. After finding the guard's keys under a shallow pile of monster dust, he freed Annabeth and Grover as well.

Annabeth smiled at Percy. "Not bad, for a sea spawn."

Percy grinned back at her. "Thanks. I think. Now let's get out of here."

The four companions crept across the room, weary of more guards jumping out at them from behind the large machines. Because of Percy, some of the lights had been shattered, sending scary shadows stretching across the floor.

"Okay, we've made it," Grover said as they reached the door.

"What if there are bad people on the other side?" Tyson asked.

"It's okay, big guy. We'll get out of here." Percy reassured the cyclops as he reached for the door handle.

Right before touching it, he froze. Pausing for a second, he listened for any activity behind the door. Then, he grabbed the handle, pulling.

The door opened with relative ease, sending in a quick rush of sea air. Percy sighed in relief as the scent of the ocean met his nose. The salty waves always calmed him.

"Let's go," he said as he unfroze, his eyes snapping open. He led the way towards the lifeboats, pointing out that if they'd just snuck out the porthole then they'd be left bobbing in the ocean. They may not be shark bait as long as Percy was there, but he couldn't guarantee that they'd be able to get past the monsters where they were going.

"We're almost there," he whispered. One more corner and they'd reach the lifeboats. Percy had no idea how he knew where the lifeboats were stationed, but he could only assume that it was because he was highly attuned with boats and could just sense these things.

They rounded the last bend and saw the lifeboats in reach. Unfortunately, there were about two dozen monsters standing between them and their freedom.

***

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2017

~CSP2708~