| Chapter V || Demons Be Cruising Here |

*August 24 XXXX*

***

Walking along the deck of the ship seemed like a good idea at first, but after our first few steps, I immediately wanted to go back to the safety of our rooms. My body was practically buzzing in response to the number of monsters on board. I'd felt only the beginnings of this feeling yesterday, but now that we were out in the open, my whole body seemed to be vibrating.

Annabeth walked ahead, proudly, as if she belonged here. I guess it was an act. Might as well look like we're supposed to be here.

Suddenly, as she turned a corner, she pulled us back, pressing herself against the wall. I held my breath, as that seemed like the thing to do.

"Ssssseven joined sssssince Monday! They sssenssse hissss power! He drawsss them here!"

I cringed as the reptilian voice reached my ears. The sound was rough, like nails on chalkboard and it seemed to slither around like its owner before washing over me.

I heard the nearly indistinguishable sound of snakeskin on carpet and my whole body froze as two women passed us, not even glancing around the corner. I'd never seen monsters like them before, and I'd seen a lot of monsters in my day. I knew what they were, though. Dracena. Snake women. Artemis had taught me about these monsters.

They had the top half of a woman, normal except for the small patches of scales and forked tongues and sharp venomous fangs. The bottom half, though, became two long snake tails, each around a foot or so in diameter and up to ten feet long, dragging on the floor like they'd been walking too long and their legs had melted into trails of slime.

The two monsters passed, strangled hissing leaving both of them. I could only assume that was snake laughter.

"We need to go," Annabeth said.

"No, duh?" I replied. "Whose dumb idea was it to come on this ship anyway?"

She sent me a glare. Oh. I guess it was hers. "We need to find out what Luke is up to. Until then, we can't leave this ship."

Grover spoke up then, "I smell more monsters. We have to hide. Not all of them are as naïve as Dracaenae."

I was dragged into a nearby restroom just as a was heard outside.

"-what he'll do! This has to work!" It was Luke. That much I knew. I hadn't seen him since last summer, and his voice had changed slightly, but it was him. He seemed angry, but I also heard slight fear in his voice.

"You so sure this gamble will pay off?" The second voice was deeper and gruffer than Luke's obviously a large monster. I could hear shuffling outside, a slight tearing sound; the scratch of claws of carpet. I wonder what kind of monster Luke was talking to.

"Of course it will! They'll take the bait. Now come one, we must check on the casket."

Their voices receded, as did their footsteps.

I was finally able to let out a breath, my lungs starved of fresh oxygen.

"We leave now?" Tyson asked, his voice weak. He whimpered.

My eyes met Annabeth's meaningfully. She shook her head.

"Sorry buddy," I told Tyson, "Not yet."

"We have to find out what Luke is up to. Knowing him, it can't possibly be anything good," Grover said, tapping his hooves nervously on the tile floor of the restroom.

"We leave restroom?" Tyson asked instead.

My head jerked up because I'd completely forgotten we were in a restroom. A women's restroom. Oh boy.