A Broken Sword - Chapter VII

"Where have you been, Semolina?" Camthalion asked, not mad but worried. Semolina had talked to Legolas and the rest of the Wood-elves - or Silvan Elves as some of them preferred it - as they walked towards Lord Elrond.
"Oh, hello father. I was merely enjoying some time on my own when these Silvan Elves arrived, looking for Lord Elrond," she replied, pointing at her new "friends". Camthalion looked at them and at first didn't say a thing. He simply peered at them, as if he was silently judging them or trying to uncover secrets they hid. 
"What business do you have with Lord Elrond?" he asked, looking straight into Legolas' blue eyes. Semolina frowned. 
"Father-" she began but was interrupted.
"Our business is ours alone. If Lord Elrond wanted you to know, you would have known by now," Legolas replied, not breaking the eye contact. They looked intensely at each other for a few moments before Legolas turned to his mates. "Penim lû. Tolo!" he said and they marched on. Semolina let her eyes follow them. 
"What did he say?" she asked her father, still not taking her eyes away from the Wood-Elves.
"That they haven't got time for this," he replied darkly. "Don't worry about them," he continued turning around, hoping Semolina wouldn't see the worry in his eyes.

A sudden sound startled her. She opened her eyes with a gasp. It was dark, very dark, and it took a couple of moments before Semolina remembered exactly where she was and why. She'd taken a nap, all of the walking and meeting new people was tiring and she was after all half a halfling. Huh.
Opening her window, Semolina noticed that the sun was still up - or had risen again - and that the sound that awoke her was a bird, although sounding like a mad badger. Outside her door were no one. Not a single person was in sight, except - ah yes, there was her father, walking hastily down the path Legolas and his fellowship had earlier taken to find Lord Elrond.
"What is it that bothers him," Semolina whispered, quietly closing the door behind her and tiptoing behind her father - it did bring certain advantages to be of hobbitish making. It felt like a minor adventure and Semolina liked this. She praised herself, thinking she was doing rather well. That is, until her father turned around. Luckily, she had reached a large pot with a large plant in it at the time, so she was able to hide behind it without being caught. After this, she sneaked more carefully. No more complications arose and within a short amount of time they had reached Lord Elrond. This was where it got difficult. She managed to climb the stairs, but she had to, sort of, lay on them, hiding, while her father waited for Eru knows who. 
"Ah, good Lindir, may I speak to Lord Elrond?" she heard her father ask. Risking it, she peeked and saw yet another elf with brownish hair, he looked young and witty. 
"Oh, but Camthalion, I don't know if-" Lindir began but stopped as Lord Elrond placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Ëa brand, Lindir," Elrond said, nodding his head. Lindir smiled and left. 
"I need to learn the language," Semolina whispered to herself, hoping her father and Lord Elrond wouldn't be communicating in Elvish. 
"The tales are not true, are they? Darker powers have not risen again, have they?" Camthalion asked Elrond hurridly and with worry clear in his voice. "I saw the Wood-Elves, Semolina walked with them, they-"
"Calm down, Camthalion," Elrond stopped him and now placed a hand on Camthalion's shoulder. "Follow me," he said. Camthalion quickly walked indoors, while Elrond took a moment to gaze around, making Semolina hide once again as his eyes reached the staircase. He then followed his friend. Semolina felt confused and puzzled, though still adventurous. She followed them inside, but as she got there they were out of sight. With a sigh she looked around, making sure no one else was. Her mouth dropped once more at the magnificent place. She had never seen anything like it and she doubted she ever would. Light-headed she walked around, careful not to break anything - a scenario that seemed possible. She reached a room where a big statue was in sight. Semolina walked towards it. The statue was holding a cloth. As she walked closer she saw something lay upon it. It was a sword. A broken sword. The pieces lay separately, and upon the bluish cloth they seemed precious and ancient. She didn't dare touch, although her fingers graced the cloth.
"A fine sword, isn't it?" she heard from behind her. Semolina jumped, gasping loudly. She recognized the voice but she found it hard to reply with her heart pounding at this rate.
"I- I really didn't touch it," she said, trying to steady her breathing. The voice laughed and she heard foot steps come closer towards her. 
"I didn't say you did," he replied, making Semolina jump slightly again. The voice was awfully close now and as she turned around she saw the same marked cheekbones and deep, deep blue eyes as she had gazed upon a little while earlier.
"Hello," she said, trying her best not to seem akward or intimidated. Legolas smiled.
"Hi," he said. "This is Narsil, sword of Elendil," he continued, picking up the handle and raising it above their heads. He caressed the space between the sword and his hand, and Semolina could see a spark in his eyes as he looked at it.
"What did it do to suffer this unfortunate fate?" she asked, feeling more relaxed and with a smile playing on her lips. 
"It was shattered, torn to pieces during the concluding battle between the Last Alliance and Mordor. Though all for a higher purpose," he explained and put down the sword, smiling at Semolina.
"How so?" she asked. She remembered having heard this story before but she couldn't remember all of the details.
"Sauron was defeated," Legolas said. The smile on his face grew darker and his eyes became distant. This was only for a while, though, as he soon noticed Semolina's curious eyes. He had never seen anyone like her, he doubted anyone ever had. Not for long ages, anyhow. She was beautiful and pointy-eared, yet she was a head shorter than himself and didn't seem to have the same stillness as the elves. This he was infatuated by.
"So tell me about yourself," he said after a while. They sat down. "Where did you grow up?"
"In the Shire, with my mother. I've never met my father until now," she said.
"It's interesting, I don't think there's ever been examples of a hobbit-elf until now. You must have so many questions," he said, squeezing his eyes together so they were hardly visible. Semolina smiled.
"Yeah, well I've never been able to ask anyone," she said, fiddling with one of her long, red sleeves. 
"Legolas? Legolas, the meeting begins now," one of the Silvan Elves from earlier pointed out as he appeared. Legolas rose quickly.
"I must go now," he said, looking down at Semolina. "But I'll probably see you around," he added and smiled at her once again before nodding at his companion and following him out the doorway.