The Morning It All Began

Bree's POV

        "Don't open your eyes," I thought to myself. "Open your eyes and they win."

        But I had to. If I didn't open my eyes, I couldn't press the snooze button. Resignedly, I opened my eyes and climbed out of bed. That's when I glanced at my clock and saw that it was already 7:30. 

        "Oh my god! Mom didn't wake me up. I'm going to be late!"

        I scrambled to pull on a pair of jeans, and a t-shirt that was conveniently laying across the back of my desk chair. I peeked out my window, and noticed my dad's car was still in our driveway.

        "That's odd, he should have left for work over an hour ago." I stated to no one in particular.

        Nevertheless, I didn't give it a second thought. It's a beautiful March day, and the last Friday before spring beak, I should be excited! I happily bounded down the stairs to ask my mom for a ride.

        Something was not right. Why didn't I smell bacon frying? Where were the empty coffee mugs that should be in the sink? A sinking feeling in my gut told me to head to the living room. Peeking out from under the coffee table, there was a foot. As I moved closer there was an ankle, then a calf, and a knee. The sinking feeling in my gut intensified. Then I saw what I never dreamed I'd see, even in my worst nightmares.

        My parents bodies, limp and lifeless, were laying on the living room floor. Now, I'm no doctor, but after feeling for a pulse, I knew they were gone. My head started spinning, and it felt like the floor was falling out from underneath me.

        "Stop it Bree, figure this out. The first step is to call the authorities." I whispered to myself, sounding more confident than I felt.

        With that thought, my trembling hand made the call I never thought I would have to make.