Godparents

Ryan's POV

        I closed the door and set my keys down before dragging my feet to my daughters room. I picked her up out of her crib, and sat down in my rocking chair on the other side of her room. I rocked back and forth, not taking my eyes off my 15 month daughter for even a second. I felt hot tears stinging my eyes, and seconds later, they started rolling down my cheeks.

        "Kev? What's wrong?" 

        I looked up to see my wife staring at me, her face full of concern.

        "It's this case Jenny, it's a tough one." I confessed, running my fingers through my hair.

        "Do you want to talk about it?" Jenny asked, clearly worried. 

        I explained the case in minor detail, summarizing how a young girl had both her parents killed, and had someone try to kill her too.

        "It's just, she looked so scared Jen. Kate told me today that Castle has her right now,"

        "Well isn't that a good thing?" Jenny asked, knowing how Castle raised his own daughter by himself when her mother left him.

        "It is, for the girl. It's just got me thinking Jenny, what if something happens to us? Then what happens to Sarah Grace? I don't want her to have to stay with the police. Am I being an irresponsible father by having such a dangerous job?" I pondered, not wanting to do anything to put my daughter in harms way.

        "Kevin Ryan, you look at me right now!," Jenny snapped. "Sarah Grace is so lucky to have you as her dad. She will grow up knowing her daddy is a hero! Sure your work is dangerous, but I know how safe you stay, to make sure you come home to Sarah Grace and I every night. Nothing is going to happen to you, and Sarah Grace will always know that."

        "Still," I start, "I want to have a plan for Sarah Grace just in case something does happen. She needs a godparent." I decide.

        Jenny's response was immediate, as if she'd given it thought before.

        "Javier."

        "You want Esposito to be Sarah Grace's godfather?" I asked, both bewildered and thrilled that my wife wants my partner to be our daughters legal guardian, should something happen to us.

        "Of course, He's always had your back on the field, and he's your best friend Kevin." Was her reply.

        I stood up and set Sarah Grace back in her crib before engulfing Jenny in a huge bear hug. I kissed her cheek before heading upstairs to get ready for bed, knowing 'll be able to sleep easy if Javier Esposito is my kids godfather.