Giants

It was relatively cool that evening. I blinked slowly into unkempt discolored walls, the visions of blurred smiles and muffled laughter fading as I pulled out of sleep. I continued to lay there as the unknown faces faded from my bleary eyes. I never could remember any of my dreams, but these unknown happy moments lingered in my subconscious as if they were mine. Even if I can't see them very well, they sooth me in a way.

I sat up to look at the clock as the room came back into focus. I had been asleep for almost two hours. I just wanted to nap for like, twenty minutes or so, 'cause I hadn't the chance for any rest lately, but guess that didn't happen.

Ugh, Tim is going to nag me for this. I rubbed my eyes with the heel of my palms and got up. The hotel room I'm crashing is completely untouched, save for the few wrinkles on the bed covers where I slept. Stopping by the sink to rinse my face with cold water and nab the goggles I left by the coffee machine, and went out into the hallway.

This hotel is old and smells it. Everything in it yellowed and caked with, something. Dust? I don't know. The place doesn't get cleaned ever. I rounded the corner to the reception area and went into the backroom. I have to use the office phone since that one time I had an unfortunate arm tic that threw my cell phone against the wall. I fished into my pants pocket for a crumpled piece of paper with a phone number on it. I sighed, trying to brace myself for the lecture I was definitely about to receive as I dialed. The phone didn't get past its first ring before Tim answered.

"Where are you? We planned to meet under the bridge half hour ago," Tim's voice scolded on the other end. Oh boy.

"Pop a midol Timothy, I'm on my way. I just slept longer than I thought," I reassured, waving my hand in front of me. I knew he couldn't see it but it's just habit. Tim sighed into the phone, crunching through the line.

"Just get here soon, alright."

And with that he hung up. I know I'm new to this, uh, profession, but he needs to chill the heck out. I lowered the phone, but the sudden sharp ting of a bell stopped my hand.

"Hello?"

Is someone actually here to visit the hotel? My hand hovered over the receiver. I could just ignore them and wait for them leave, but the reception office has a small window and they were looking directly at me. Nice.

"Excuse me?"

I cringed at the second call. This hotel is on the outskirts of town and no one ever comes here unless...

"One sec," I answered, dropping the phone to its place.

I darted around the room for some sort of guest book and a set of room keys. I managed to find a nice enough looking notebook on the desk and some keys on the floor before heading out to greet the person. It was a short woman in her mid-thirties with round, brown eyes and a dark red top. I tried to look dignified as I walked out to the counter, puffing my chest slightly and my back straight but the woman still raised her eyebrow to me. Oh well, I tried. Maybe it's my hair.

"Uh, how many nights?"

The woman puckered the side of her mouth and narrowed her eyes at the desk. My neck and right arm beginning to tense, my arm especially burning. Ah jeez, not now. I held my arm and concentrated on holding the tension back.

"See, I'm not very sure. This is kinda last-minute so I don't really know," she paused, shaking her head and waving her frizzed curls around.

"How much is it a night?" a million dollars

"Ah, sure. Yeah, you could just, uh, pay when you leave. Sign here. Please."

I slid the notebook across the counter with my calm hand, trying to stop my head from jerking too badly. I opened the guest book to a random page and pointed to the blank line at the top. Just sign it please.