Bloodstream

It was a new moon that night and the forest was darker than normal. The dumbass I was chasing fumbled, groping his way through the trees. Unfortunately for this poor fucker I knew these woods better than any animal here. I let him continue down his way, showing up just to make them run the other way. Nipping at the livestock's ankles, herding them to the tunnels that served as the masters main feeding ground was near clockwork now. I had done it for so long and consistently, it feels I've breed to do this. I kept my distance in the bushes and watched him catch his breath. He looked around confused before entering the damp tunnel.

As soon as he went in, I sprung out of my hiding place. He turned as he heard my footsteps approaching but it was too late for him. I swung my hatchet cross the guys' ribcage. He cried and writhed, coughing blood. The broken pieces of bone must've punctured his lungs. He fell to his knees and grabbed on my calves. He tried to rasp some sort of beg but I stayed quiet, the drips of blood from my hatchets echoing in the concrete tunnel.

My vision filled with familiar static. The man hollered and doubled over, covering his ears from the subsequent shrill whine. Master appeared at the far end of the tunnel. A second wave of static rang out and in the same instant he appeared, master and his prey were gone. The tunnel silent save for the dripping from my axes.

I sighed, looking down at my clothes. The right leg of my pants and bottom of my hoodie blood stained from the man's stupid coughing. Should probably wash these before Angelo sees. Hopefully I manage to get the stains out 'cause that would be hard to explain. I slipped my hatchets through my belt loops and made my way to the parking lot. Masky was waiting for me underneath a street light. He had his arms crossed and was leaning against his car.

"Done?" he asked curtly.

"Yup. Hey Masky, got any oxyclean I could use? Tide to go?"

"No, I don't. Come on, get in the car. And put those things in the trunk. I don't want them making a mess."

Masky got into his car and hastily ignited the engine. I threw the hatchets into the trunk, slamming it closed just as Masky shouted for me to hurry up. I got in and he sped out into the road. I know I don't know anything about cars, or driving or anything, but I always thought Masky drove kind of recklessly. Could just be because he's under master's influence, but still.

Neither of us talked the three-hour drive from Rosswood Park. My stomach felt queasy from the moment I got in. I scrunched myself into the corner of my seat, pressed against the window with an odd sense discomfort. I could never look at anyone while they drove and I have no idea why. I'm sure Angelo could figure it out but they're not here now. My face kept twitching the entire time, sniffling, coughing, and squeaking on occasions. Tim never paid any mind to my tics and I was kinda grateful for that, but I'll never tell.

My head had felt fogged since I woke up this morning. I remember waking up and looking at my loot spread out across the tacky comforter. These lifeless things only reminding me of the loneliness they could not fill. I'm never going to steal anything again. Never. Not if it's just going to remind me of the hole I carry. I threw them on the table except the phone. The phone is gonna be useful. Although the only reason I had service on my first phone was 'cause I stole it from some guy I killed. I'll have to get Masky to put me on his service but I'll talk to him about that later. I just wanted silence now, and from I could tell, so did Tim.

He pulled up into the motel just as the dawn started to break. Angelo loves the dawn. Maybe I should wake them up and we could-

I stopped. Someone ran behind the bramble and towards the motel. Masky hadn't even made a complete stop as I opened the door and jumped out.