Rock, Chalk, Shot a Jayhawk

Everything around me was grey. I tried to focus through the haze and blinked out into an unfamiliar hallway. There was a window at the end of the corridor with orange sunlight peering through white curtains, meaning it was fairly early in the morning. I looked down and I was small, wearing a set of light blue pajamas and holding some sort of flute. A recorder?

I looked around but I was the only one there, the house still with everyone else asleep. Not sure what else to do, I brought the recorder up to my lips and started playing some god-awful tune. The notes my little breath push out like squeaky door hinges. I had no idea what was going on or what I was doing, but I could feel it. A girl with blonde hair came out of her room no longer after I started playing. Her face blurred.

"Toby," she started, her voice becoming distorted. "Do you have to play that now? You're supposed to do carol's after presents, silly." Her tone lighthearted. I smiled and held up the recorder.

"But I finally learned jingle bells!" What the heck is jingle bells?

The girl laughed and rubbed the top of my head.

"Finally, you've had trouble with that one. Excited for presents?" Presents? I'm getting gifts?

"Duh! What'd you ask for l̸̢͕̪͉ͬ̅͊̋̍͋̚y̵̦̮͉͙̔̀ͣͦ̋r̢̡̛̩̤̜̖̣ͥ̒̑ͅḁ̺͍͕̈́̓ͨ͆̄ͥ̐̉?" Her name was heavily distorted. Only her name. The rest of what I said was fine. "A boyfriend? A girlfriend?"

She laughed again, walking past me towards the door across from hers.

"Yup. I asked for a cute girlfriend this year." I giggled and followed after her.

"L̸̢͕̪͉ͬ̅͊̋̍͋̚y̵̦̮͉͙̔̀ͣͦ̋r̢̡̛̩̤̜̖̣ͥ̒̑ͅḁ̺͍͕̈́̓ͨ͆̄ͥ̐̉ gonna get a girlfriend! L̸̢͕̪͉ͬ̅͊̋̍͋̚y̵̦̮͉͙̔̀ͣͦ̋r̢̡̛̩̤̜̖̣ͥ̒̑ͅḁ̺͍͕̈́̓ͨ͆̄ͥ̐̉ gonna get a girlfriend!" I teased, her name still inaudible.

"Ha! Hopefully. Let's get mom."

"Okay." I pipped excitedly and watched as whoever this was open the door.

It was only a bright light, blinding me as the door opened. My vision turned to static and the scene disappeared, everything fizzing into grey again.

My eyes shot open to the lamp light on the night stand. My breathing heavy, seeming to sink into my belly with each inhale. I sat up and waited for my eyes to adjust to the dim room. That dream felt more like a vision. Not like a future vision, but vision as in a glimpse into something. Was that a memory of mine? My past had always been so dark to me. The fact that I would suddenly see this now after two years doesn't make sense. I pressed my eyes and looked around the room again. Orange sunlight coming through the window just like in the dream.

I looked over at Angelo. The sliver of light from the curtains stretched across them, making their golden skin tone radiate. They looked so peaceful now compared to the roller coaster they showed me yesterday. I hugged my knees and leaned my cheek on my hand. I watched the subtle, even movement of their breathing. This was strangely calming. It's probably really creepy of me to watch some dude sleep like this, but this was different. Watching them gave me a sense of stillness I hadn't had for the past two years or so. Feeling relaxed was putting it lightly. I felt filled peace.

I inhaled deeply, cautiously reaching out to move a side bang from their face. I caught myself about to stare again, but I shook my head to snap out of this stupor this asshole has me in. We got things to do and it's getting late.

"Hey Angelo, wake up," I called, tapping the side of their face.

"No..."

They groaned and swiped their sharpened nails at my forearm.