4 - Chapter Four - 4

4 – Chapter Four – 4

‘Fire burns.’

I poked my head out of the door and saw the doctors and nurses watching the patients a bit closer than normal.  They must have been watching them so closely, because of Dr. Stanza’s arrival.  They wanted to make sure that Dr. Stanza didn’t see something that would make him turn and quite the job that they wanted him at.  They were going to make sure that to Dr. Stanza it was just an ordinary insane hospital with patients that had zombie like look on their faces.

‘Water flows.’

Patients scuttled down the hallway, and I hesitantly took a step out and looked towards the doctors and nurses again.  This was the first time that they were actually paying attention to what the patients were doing and to make sure that they didn’t get into anything.  With them paying so closely attention to the other patients, they wouldn’t pay much heed to the lucid one.

‘Wind blows.’

On the third floor the patients were mostly allowed to roam around.  There were a few places that we weren’t allowed to go however.  Down the halls towards the back where they tortured the patients was one of them.  Although, we made sure not to go to the place that caused us pain in the first place.  Then there were the offices for the doctors.  We weren’t allowed up there unless if we had specific permission.  Even though we were patients that were supposed to be treated by their doctors, they never called us up towards the offices.

‘Earth Sustains.’

I let out a puff of air, blowing a clump of hair out of my face and looked down the hall.  The patients doors were open today and when I passed some of them, I could see some patients in them staring blankly at the walls.  On the doors of each patient’s room, there was a number.  The numbers corresponded with the patient, which one was which.  The doctors used this method rather than to have to worry about our names most of the time.  The only reason why they knew my name was so well was because I was the youngest and the last patient that had ever come to the hospital.  My number was 134.

‘Can you name more than the four?’

My stomach rumbled and I flinched at the sound.  We weren’t fed often here so when even though I was hungry all the time, that didn’t mean my stomach growled at me.  My stomach had gotten used to not being able to eat much over the years.  It only growled when I had gone without food for a long period of time.  This time, I believed it was almost a week.  If that was how I could remember right, the last time that they had given me any food was about a week ago.

‘Light that shows the way.’

I moved down the halls, only glancing at the passing patients.  If we were hungry enough, they did serve out some food, only two days a week.  Today was one of those days, and I was so very hungry that I was actually moving towards it now.  Even though they passed out the food, it was disgusting food and they served the lovely pills with it for the patients that did come and pick the food up.

‘Lightning crackles and makes thunder rumble.’

The place was near the rec room that had been in yesterday.  The thought of yesterday made me tremble with fear.  I didn’t know what they did to Marvin, but I did know that the man would be in his room and would be staying there for quite awhile.  The other patients didn’t have the capability to recover after such a thing as I did.  I’m not sure if it was because I was younger or because I haven’t had to deal with it as long.

Twelve years is a long time, but the other patients around me have had to deal with it even longer than I.

‘Darkness plays with the shadows.’