Chapter 14

Naomasa sighed, glancing at the small teenage boy curled up on the hospital chair across the room. He honestly didn't know what to expect when he was told to pick up the victim's son, but Izuku Midoriya certainly wasn't it. The kid looked harmless on the surface, but his eyes hid fire and steel when he walked up to him from the stadium and bluntly demanded his mother's condition. He had no idea what to do with someone like this, he wasn't screaming, he wasn't in grief. He was cold, almost calculating as they rode in the car to the hospital. His questions were answered with clipped tones and even more brief words; and as far as he could tell, the kid hadn't been lying.

He dragged a hand down his face, groaning. Fighting back a yawn, the detective scrolled through his conversation with Yagi.

Received 11:45 am.

How is he?

Sent 11:47 am.

I can't tell, he's not giving anything away without a fight, that's for sure. He looked like he was ready to sprint to the hospital when I broke the news to him.

Received 11:49 am.

Don't doubt the power of adrenaline, my friend.

Received 11:50 am.

Have they given you an update on their condition?

Sent 11:53 am.

No. From what I last heard Mrs. Midoriya was semi-stable and Nagaki Kuroda is in the ER. I saw what he looked like when they found him, the cut went straight to his bone, all the muscles were severed. They'll have to amputate his arm, it's either that or be crippled the rest of his life.

Received 11:56 am.

Does Midoriya-boy know who it was that attacked them? Does he know how much danger he is in at the moment?

Sent 11:59 am.

How am I supposed to tell him that the League of Villains might be targeting him? He's upset enough as it is. He won't even sit near me, he's just watching the sports festival with a blank expression. It's starting to worry me.

Received 12:01 pm.

That's to be expected, given what happened. Has social services contacted you with the name of his next legal guardian yet? He can't live in the hospital until his mother wakes up.

Sent 12:03 pm.

He doesn't have another legal guardian, given the circumstances, it's most likely a hero will be assigned to guard him until they're sure he's safe.

Received 12:05 pm.

That's good, I can send you a list of heroes that'll be good for that situation. Stay safe, Naomasa.

Sent 12:06 pm.

Thank you, Yagi; and I should be saying that to you.

The detective sighed again, rubbing his chin with a calloused hand. If Midoriya went into the standard foster care system until his mother recovered, there'd be no guarantee that he would be safe if the League attacked him. Not to mention how much danger it would put the fostering family in. Hopefully Yagi would send the potential hero list to him soon, this kind of stuff took time, time that he really didn't have when it came to the teenager sitting across the room.

"Excuse me?" A voice asked, Naomasa's head whipped from his phone to the middle aged nurse standing in front of him. She gestured to Midoriya. "Are you here with the young boy over there?"