Chapter 6

"MacCready..."

He stirred in his bed, his eyes peeled open as he woke from his sleep. Dawn's brown eyes peered through the darkness as she shook him awake, and for a second he momentarily forgot himself. He pushed away her hands from his shoulders as he sat up, his fists rubbing against his eyes as he yawned.

Dawn stood back, her Pip-Boy beeping dully in the background, her hands occupied with pulling her assault mask from her bag. "Hurry up," she urged as she put the mask on. "We've got to go. Now."

The subdued bleeps from her wrist cut through the ambience of the night, the very sound of it assaulting his sleep deprived mind. He looked up, Dawn stood expectantly in his room - arms crossed and ready to leave - her fingers drumming against her crossed arms as she waited impatiently for her hired gun.

MacCready huffed, knowing that she wouldn't leave his hotel room any time soon, so he gathered all of his belongings in preparation for whatever mission she's so focused with at this ridiculous hour. A stuporous wave in her direction, a strained yawn, then a scratch behind his neck was his wordless announcement that he was ready.

"Okay..." He was tired, and all he wanted was a decent night's sleep. "Just...turn that thing off, will ya?"

She shook her head, "We need it," and MacCready wished that he kept his stupid mouth shut as she proceeded to turn up the volume, the sound aggravating him as he lagged behind her. She was studying her Pip-Boy as she moved, only glancing upwards to check her surroundings. They reached the gates of Bunker Hill when she stopped in her tracks, her mask illuminated green in the darkness as she was engrossed with her gadget, then pointed down the road, announcing "There" as she began to walk.

Her hurried footsteps echoed down the dilapidated streets, MacCready in tow, as they made their way over to the C.I.T. ruins. The large courtyard came into view, rubble littered what used to be the grass verge, where Dawn jogged over to the middle of the open to study her Pip-Boy further.

"What is it, boss?" He was looking over her shoulder to get a better view of the screen, but she was turning dials and calibrating her Pip-Boy too quickly for him to comprehend.

"There's a courser nearby," she breathed in anticipation, sliding up her mask so it rested on top of her head. "We're getting close."

"A courser?" MacCready visibly blanched as he followed Dawn over a pile of debris. Immediately he tensed, straining his eyes in the darkness as he warily checked out his surroundings. "You know where it is, Boss?"

She made a noncommittal hum as she raised her wrist, the Pip-Boy illuminating her path as she made her way to some rusted scaffolding on one of the walls. Dawn made no hesitation as she climbed up the metal pipes, her hold and footing sure as she ascended higher up the building. MacCready took a moment to admire how her demeanor changes when she is focused, observing the way her brow furrows and eyes harden as he stole a glimpse of her in the low light.

A small slip of her foot made his heart stop, but she held on to the edge of a large hole blasted into the wall, and MacCready allowed himself to breath again when she hoisted herself into the building, a flustered expression on Dawn's face. She turned around to face him, giving him a steady thumbs up to signify that she was okay, then pulled her mask back down to cover her sheepish look.

Her wrist rose again, the higher ground granted her better signal as she scanned her surroundings, the Pip-Boy beeping softly in the night. She titters, facing south as she points behind MacCready.

"The courser is just across the river," she calls out, nerves choking her voice into a slight tremble. He followed Dawn's line of sight and peered over the river and into the ruins of Boston. Some Raiders could be seen gathered around a barrel fire, guarding their perimeter as they lapped warmth from the flames. MacCready looked back at Dawn as she hoisted her bag strap further up her shoulder before she leaned over the hole in the wall to begin her descent.