Chapter 9

Another week, another hangover...

Dawn was kind enough to book a room for MacCready at the Dugout Inn, but she was always sleeping elsewhere within Diamond City. Nevertheless, she collected him in the morning with that same punctuality. Eight o'clock, on the dot.

He was mostly used for grunt work at first. She had saved up enough caps to buy a place called Homeplate by the city market, and everyday he was tasked with either moving in some furniture or taking out some trash from inside. After a week, the place was spruced up, and it was definitely the nicest home he's ever been in.

According to Dawn, the place still needed some work. She blabbered something trivial – painting the walls or something – but he never listened. MacCready sparked up a cigarette and puffed away whilst she described her plans of grandeur for her new house.

"Listen," he began, interrupting her mid sentence. "I'm gonna go out for a sec. Got some things I need to do."

She looked at him with a thoughtful expression. "Sure."

He didn't hesitate to leave her in the house. The Intel letter was still in his front pocket, and he needed to get it delivered. There was a courier service offered by the guards at the City entrance, and after haggling a suitable price to get the courier to deliver his message to dangerous Gunner territory, the letter was finally on its way.

Even though the letter is now no longer in his pocket, the weight on his chest still lingered.

X

"You geared up?" Dawn asked as she strapped on some armor to her shoulders. Her backpack was swapped out this time, alternatively she now donned a series of utility pouches to her waist and thighs. MacCready had never seen her travel light until now, and a certain anxiousness crept up to him as he wondered what she was planning.

He didn't let his worry show. Instead, he gave her his signature smirk as he holstered a newly bought pistol to his side. "I'm cocked, locked, and ready to rock, boss."

Dawn gave him her own smirk, the fire returning to her impish features. "Good," she approved. "We need to get to Goodneighbor. Who knows what kinda trouble we'll run into on the way there."

Another smirk was his reply as they both set out of Diamond City. Dawn took lead, her strides strong and confident as they marched on. He noticed that there was a certain fire in her today; much more confident than the meek woman he picked up in the Third Rail. Despite this obvious change, MacCready couldn't decide whether or not this change was a good thing. Sometimes, overconfidence can lead to disaster.

Gunfire could be heard in the distance, and it echoed off the dilapidated buildings around them as they trekked through Boston. Dawn seemed more alert this time as she altered her course to be closer to walls and cover should they need it. Based off their ambush attack from raiders the last time they walked through the city, Dawn has visibly learned her lesson by being vigilant.

MacCready closed the gap between them, tapping her on the shoulder to get Dawn's attention. "Sounds close, want me to scout ahead?"

She shook her head. "Best if we stick together." Her expression shifted to something more serious. "I know there are some gunners round the block from Goodneighbor. There's a shortcut we can take, I can bribe them to let us pass through-"

"No." He winced when he realised how quickly he protested. Dawn's expression soured further.

"I've done it many times before," she said as she glared at the mercenary. "These guys don't give a shit as long as you pay them. They won't give us any trouble."