Chapter Twenty-Five

Regina walked slowly beside Emma as the group of five made their way toward Regina's vault. While Snow had insisted they go straight to Gold, Regina had talked sense into her by reminding her they should confirm Emma's heart—its remains, rather—were actually gone. It wouldn't take long, she had assured them all, and it was worth checking out before they barged in accusing Gold of something so...heartless.

"How are you feeling Miss Swan?" Regina inquired softly, setting her hand on Emma's shoulder and watching as Snow, David and Henry continued walking a short distance ahead of them. Emma shot her a glare.

"Honestly, Regina, if having sex doesn't even convince you it's okay to call me by my first name, I don't know what will!" Emma's voice was a loud whisper that the others wouldn't be able to hear, and although Regina was fully aware that her counterpart was being serious, she couldn't help but grin. "I'm as well as can be expected for a person living with two hearts."

"One and a half, technically."

Emma elbowed her weakly, but then her demeanor changed to one more somber.

"What can we do to fix this?" the Sheriff asked, looking worried. "If he did resurrect my heart...what's going to happen to you if my own heart still beats?"

Regina winced as she heard Emma question the safety of her partner before herself. It was a trait Regina herself had lost long ago, and one she had longed to regain but she had never stood a chance before Henry and Emma had arrived. Now that they were there...now that Regina had family to put first...she thought she might one day be able to ask a question such as Emma's without first planning to ask it.

"I've never tried to recitfy a situation like this Emma," Regina answered honestly, looking down at the grass as they walked. She used Emma's name to make the woman feel better. "I suspect that your heart will have to be destroyed, and that Gold may have to be the one to do it."

The blonde faltered, looking at her in alarm.

"Why Gold? If he's really the one that brought it back, we'll never convince him to undo it!"

They had reached the vault, and as the Charmings looked back expectantly at Regina, the woman looked away from Emma and disappeared in a puff of purple smoke. When she returned, her body was tense, and her words confirmed their fears.

"It's gone."

It didn't take long for Daniel to find Emma Swan. What he had not expected, however, was to find Regina Mills and the rest of the Charmings alongside her. They were leaving the site of the Mills family mausoleum when Daniel stepped into their line of view. In the bag over his shoulder, Emma Swan's heart beat more rapidly. After a few seconds, Regina Mills looked up and caught his eye. He watched as her mouth fell open in shock. A relieved smile washed over him, and he hurried toward her, stumbling a few times in the process.

"Regina," he breathed when he was closer to them. In his peripheral vision, he saw Emma Swan bearing an expression quite similar to that of Regina, but he paid her no mind just then. His eyes were only for Regina, his sweet, beautiful Regina, and it took everything in his power not to rush the rest of the way to her and scoop her into his arms.

He could see that she was still shocked, for she had not moved at all.

"Regina, my love..." he whispered, and he opened his arms to her, waiting for her to throw herself into him.

For a moment he thought he saw her smile. For a moment...just a moment, he thought she was going to come to him, to wrap her arms around him and let him do the same to her. But then a voice, sharp and cold, interrupted the moment, and it came from the very one he had come there to kill.