THREE

THREE; Detention with Malcolm Soren

Anastasia Vivian Carter;

I felt like I was in my own world.

Although I obviously wasn't. But it felt like it as my eyes scanned and registered the words printed onto the off-white paper of the book that was situated in my hands.

The words of Elizabeth Eulberg's work jamming into my mind as I continued reading The Lonely Hearts Club.

I felt bad for the character Penny-Lane. She had put her heart and soul into a guy she thought she could trust, Nate, the son of her fathers friend who spent every summer at Penny's house. She had been ready to give herself to him completely when she found him with another girl — in her house. At that moment he had crushed her completely. I mean, how could that not crush you?

After that she swore off boys entirely, saying that she wouldn't date until she was out of high school. Her parents were hardcore Beatles fans, having named all three of their daughters after some of their so—

"Miss Carter!" a loud voice cut off my reading.

I jumped a bit in my seat, quickly shutting my book and placing it on the desk that my elbows were resting on.

"Uh," I cleared my throat before speaking any further, "Sorry Mister Underwood, it won't happen again."

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, eyes shut as he took a deep breath out. "You've said that before but never follow through with it Miss Carter."

"Sir I know bu-" I tried to defend.

He shook his head, "No more excuses, I'll be giving you a pink slip, you have detention after school."

By now, all pairs of eyes were on me, except for the few that were writing down what was on the blackboard into their notebooks.

"But Mister Underwood I have wo-"

He had cut me off again, "I don't care what you have after school, I'm sure it can wait."

It really can't.

Snickers were heard across the room as I heaved out a sigh, grabbing my pen and writing down what I needed to know. My ears were burning red hot with the frustration of him not listening to a work I said. That and the snickers from my classmates.

After class, I walked to his desk to grab the horrid pink slip. His chicken scratch- like writing ineligible, I was only able to make out my name and the time of my detention. 3:10- 6:10.

Fucking three hours just for not paying attention.

I'm gonna be honest, it wasn't my first time getting a pink slip, I had gotten one in ninth grade when I thought I was the shit. Long story short, I told my teacher off when she had asked me for my big project. Needless to say, I didn't do it, and I told her straight up to go lodge the stick that was up her ass even further.

That didn't go too well.

I had gotten grounded for a month, and my sister actually laughed at me, punching Harry in the shoulder to get him to laugh as well. Meanwhile she had gotten much worse before. Like the time she and her friends had trash little old Mrs. Mitchell's car. It landed her four months of detention, five months grounding from our parents, exclusion from the winter formal, and paying to fix the car up with her own money.