Chapter 11

All he wanted was one hour of sleep, was that too much to ask? The very moment Raymond's head hit the pillow his phone rang. The disappearance of Kelly's body meant he would have to get back up to the hospital to see the crime scene and interview witnesses, it was still his case, after all. Grumbling with irritation, Raymond kicked the covers off his bed and clumsily threw on the same clothes he wore the previous day. Kelly was still gone and Keith was standing shirtless in front of Raymond's refrigerator getting ready to help himself to whatever he could find.

"I got shirts you know." Raymond yawned.

"Eh, mines in the drier, it'll be done soon. Where you heading out to?" Keith asked.

Raymond yawned again and picked up the coffee urn, giving it a shake and finding it empty. "That's my luck today," he grumbled, "got to get to the hospital and interview the night staff about Kelly's disappearance."

Keith laughed as he snatched bacon and eggs out of the fridge. "That'll be interesting, what you planning on saying? I know how much you hate to fib."

"It's called lying boy, and I hate it. Don't really see that I have a choice anymore, I got myself into this, and I'll have to push through it."

"Good luck with that one buddy." Keith said.

Raymond grumbled as he picked up his car keys, "You're going to stick around in case she shows up, right?"

Keith raised his eyebrows, "You sure she's going to show up?"

Raymond shrugged, "Hopefully, just stick around in case she does."

Keith saluted Raymond and turned back to his cooking. Raymond could only shake his head and head out, sending out a silent prayer in hopes of surviving the day.

...

A quick briefing and three cups of strong coffee later, Raymond grudgingly made his way into the hospital preparing himself to write out a false report on a missing body he knew was very much alive. He didn't need to remind himself of the risk to his career he was taking, the sick feeling in his stomach constantly reminded him of that. One slip of the tongue, one accidental encounter with the girl by curious eyes around either himself or his house, and Raymond could not only be looking at the definite end of his career, but possibly a, extended trip to the retirement house known as prison. At his age he should be thinking of Florida and warner weather, not deception and possible future perjury. A member of the hospital staff noticed Raymond standing in the lobby and offered to call security for him. Raymond reluctantly agreed and thanked them, suddenly wishing there was something stronger than coffee in his cup.

A few minutes later the man arrived, taller than Raymond and middle aged, his carefully combed hair and neatly trimmed beard showing the first signs of grey. His light colored polo shirt was tucked neatly into a pair of khakis that had obviously been pressed, and if his shoes had anything less than a full tin of polish on them Raymond would have been surprised. The man almost ran over when he spotted Raymond, looking eager and excited. He held his hand out enthusiastically, shaking Raymond's hand with such vigor that he almost made Raymond spill his coffee.

"Names Dennis Harrison, I'm in charge of security here. Glad you could make it, never seen anything like this, I can't imagine who'd want to take a body." Dennis's voice boomed out in the lobby, speaking so quickly Raymond had to take a moment to let his brain catch up to the words.

Raymond put his finger over his mouth, "Let's try to keep that quiet for now. No need to spread that kind of news around unless we really need to know what I mean?"