Chapter 35

"Angels?" Nadia and Delilah asked in unison.

"That is what they're called." Gabriel said, picking one of the leather-bound journals off the floor and thumbing through it. "I was even named after one. My father was quite the self-professed expert on the matter. He used to tell me stories when I was younger, long before I became who I am. They're known as the Grigori, or "watchers". They exist as something between the spirit world and the physical one. They inhabit human bodies at birth. When a human dies in the womb their souls depart the body, leaving an empty shell the angels have to exist within if they want to interact with the physical world. Hence the glowing eyes and disappearing wings." Gabriel directed the last statement at Ethan, as if sensing the question before Ethan had a chance to ask.

"If they're angels, why are they here?" Nadia asked after a moment's silence, irritated with the fact that everyone else seemed to be too shocked or afraid to speak. Even Daniel stood silently, his look making it obvious he wasn't used to being surprised.

Gabriel closed his eyes. " 'And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.' Genesis six-one from the bible, King James, I believe. It tells at least part of the tale. Angels used to live amongst and around humans, but were never allowed to interact with them. My father told me that two hundred angels were tempted by human women, many because of their long hair. They rebelled and came into the physical world, forcing human women to become their wives. Some took who they wanted, some actually found genuine love. It made no difference. Those born of human-angel parents became every supernatural race that exists in the world today, including vampires."

Delilah clenched her jaw. "So you're tellin' us we have two hundred of these things roaming around?"

"No, only twenty. My father told me as punishment for their rebellion, the angels were cast down. Most of them were thrown into hell to become demons. It was the chiefs of tens, their twenty leaders that were cursed to roam the earth throughout all of existence. They still call themselves the Grigori from what I understand. Almost all the children they had were killed off in the great flood. It was the tougher species like vampires and giants that survived. It's because some of their children lived through the flood that they are so dangerous. Many of the angels believed they could earn forgiveness by extinguishing their lines. They sought to destroy every supernatural being alive. That is why they seek us, to destroy us." He turned to Ethan, all signs of humor lost, "It is why our order, our job, is so important, Ethan. If we don't remain hidden, if vampires threaten humanity, the angels will send us into extinction."

"So what do I have to do with all this? What do they want with me?" Nadia asked.

Gabriel shrugged, "That, my dear girl, is a question not even I can answer."

From the side of the room Dillon groaned and hit his palm against his forehead. "Speaking of staying hidden..." he said, looking guiltily at Ethan.

"What?" Ethan asked.

"Sorry man, I should have told you earlier. Kinda got distracted, you know? I made it out to that vampire's body, but I wasn't able to take care of it all before that cop showed up again."

"What are you saying?" Ethan asked, his eyes narrowing. Gabriel turned to him as well, his interest peaked at the mention of another vampire's body.

"Yea, he took another bag full of the dude's ashes before I could tear the site up. I don't know how much that matters now though, not with all this going on."

"Oh, it matters." Gabriel said. He turned to Ethan. "Same vampire you called me about?"

Ethan nodded. "Yea. I better get that bag back before he sends it off to another lab. I got his address from the station, it'll be a milk run."

Delilah stood, "I'll take Nadia to get some food, poor thing hasn't eaten since yesterday." Nadia smiled and allowed herself to be helped off the bed, she was getting pretty hungry.

Daniel flipped his phone on, checking the time. "Speaking of food," he said, "we're going to need to get out and hunt if we're going to be fighting something stronger than vampires." Wes and Dillon jumped to their feet, grateful to finally be able to get out of the tiny room.

Gabriel chuckled. "Wow, soon as I show up everyone wants to leave. We'll meet back here in an hour or two then? Ethan, I'll be going with you. If this is the same cop that dealt with this vampire the first time, I have feeling he may have something else of interest."

Daniel, Wes, and Dillon left the room without another word. The younger brothers were both laughing to themselves, apparently involved in a conversation no one else could hear. Even Daniel was cracking a small smile. Ethan glanced out the window at the sky. The sun had almost set, they had been in the room far longer than he thought. The idea of having Nadia out after dark made him nervous, but he trusted Delilah.

"Keep her safe." He told her, leaning over to give her a kiss.

Gabriel waited until Delilah and Nadia were out of the room and down the hall before finally speaking. "She still afraid of me?" He asked.

"Yea, probably will be until you let her into the order. Probably seen you kill one too many vampires." Ethan said, a hint of a smile breaking his grim look.

Gabriel shrugged, throwing the journal he was reading back to the floor. "She's safe from me. We have bigger things to worry about, you see the black fire?"

Ethan nodded.

"You know what that is?"

"Nothing good I'm guessing. Does it have something to do with the angels?"

Gabriel nodded. "Yes, but not all of them. That's evil magic my friend, very evil. If we don't take care of it soon, it'll become a big problem for us. It's a summoning and enslavement spell. It's only purpose is to call supernatural beings and enslave their minds."

"Who made it? The angel I've been hunting?" Ethan asked.

Gabriel shook his head. "No. This is something different. Even I don't know a lot about it, only that somehow we need to end it. If we don't, it has the power to take us all."

Ethan sighed, "Just one more thing... Well, let's get it take care of."

Gabriel clapped him on the shoulder. "Let's goget that bag first. I have a few questions for that cop if we happen to findhim."