Chapter 26

Kelly waited in the shadows of the town garage next to the police station while Keith quietly picked up the keys to his cruiser. He had already submitted the paperwork for her ride along, but didn't dare to bring her inside the building to sign the release. He would blame that breach in protocol on his rookie mind. Besides, the slap of the wrist he'd get wasn't as risky as bringing a dead girl into the station while an investigation into her death and the disappearance of her body was underway.

Keys in hand, he ran across the parking lot and jumped into his car, hoping to get to Kelly before any of his co-workers asked why he was driving to the garage. Turns out there was no need to hurry. As soon as he turned the key in the ignition Kelly appeared at his side, quickly opening the passenger door and jumping in. Keith yelled out and jumped, not ready for her sudden appearance.

"Good God girl, you scared the hell out of me!" he said, gasping.

"You scare too easily." Kelly laughed.

"Just takes some getting used to, this whole vampire thing." Keith said, winking at her as he rolled the windows down. "So, what's the plan?" he asked.

"Just drive around town," she said shrugging, "If anyone else like me turns out to be out there, I should be able to sniff 'em out, just don't expect me to point them out, at least not at a distance. But hey, if it works we'll have an idea of how many might be out there."

Keith chuckled, shaking his head. Kelly glanced sideways at him and smiled. "What's so funny?" She asked.

"Just seems kinda funny is all. I've always relied on tips and surveillance to find people, and here you are sniffing them out like a high powered k-9."

Kelly turned to Keith wide-eyed, hitting him lightly on the arm. "Are you calling me a dog?"

"Not a chance in hell!" he laughed, "You'd tear me to pieces, girl!"

"Better not be." Kelly said, shooting him a grin.

For the next few hours they drove around in silence, the dispatcher occasionally coming in over the radio to send another officer somewhere or to have Keith check in with his location. All in all, Keith thought it was a quiet beginning to what should be an interesting shift. Kelly kept her head next to the window, breathing in deeply every few seconds but never reacting. Keith watched her from the corner of his eye, she really was a beautiful girl, even if she just happened to be a dangerous vampire as well.

They drove around until late afternoon with no luck. Kelly kept her head near the window, never fully facing out but positioning herself so that her eyes were always outside. Keith had to admit to himself he was disappointed when her expression never changed, hoping for at least a little bit of excitement. He made stuck with busiest streets, went to the shopping centers with the biggest crowds, at first nervous someone would see Kelly and recognize her, but eventually letting his fears subside while he concentrated on driving.

"Anything?" he asked, stopping at a red light in the middle of a busy shopping area.

Kelly shook her head. "Nothing at all. I'm sure if there were more I'd smell them, that bag smelled a lot different from you or any other person."

"Hey, you saying I smell?" Keith asked feigning insult.

Kelly glanced at him sideways and grinned. "Yea, you pretty much stink to me."

Keith laughed and kept driving, heading for the nearest gas station. They still had several hours before his shift ended, and he was starting to get pretty hungry. "Well, I'm gonna stop and get some coffee and doughnuts, you know, typical cop stuff. You want anything? Maybe a chew toy or dog biscuit?"

"Hey!" Kelly yelled, slapping his arm, "Be nice!"

Keith laughed and drove on, looking for the best place to stop. He continued to smile to himself, trying his best to keep from chuckling. Kelly kept shooting him curious glances. "What? What's so funny?" she asked finally.

"Well um, it's nothing really, just um..."

Kelly smiled, rolling her eyes. "Spit it out!"

Keith pulled into a small station at the edge of town and threw the car in park, Opening his door and removing his seatbelt at the same time. Kelly stared at him, waiting for whatever smart remark he had to say. Keith stepped out and closed the door, sticking his head in the open window with a childlike grin. "I was just wondering, if I sent you inside, would you be able to go fetch my coffee, or would you chew through my cup?" He asked, running inside before she could say anything.

Kelly watched him run in, unable to keep herselffrom smiling. "You better be glad you're cute."