Chapter 1: Scaring the Shit Out of Mycroft

A film noir, that was made in the 40s or 50s, plays and is set in the office of a private investigator. The investigator stands with his back to his desk and in front of him is a typical femme fatale holding a cigarette.

"You know I could arrest you?" He said.

"What for?" The woman asked.

"Wearing a dress like that " said the investigator, pointing at her dress.

"Would you like me to take it off?" The woman asked him, suggestively.

"Then I'd really have to press charges." The man said with a smirk.

"Press away." The woman said.

Mycroft sits in his chair, left elbow on the arm and his fingers propping his head up, smiles and mouths the investigators line everytime he speaks.

"Isn't that how they got started?" The woman asked.

"Who?" The investigator asked.

"Adam and Eve." The woman replied.

"Oh, them." said the Investigator.

Mycroft continues to smile at the film as he picks up his glass and begins to drink from it. As he continues watching the film, the footage glitches for a second.

It showed a yellowed image of a family of two adults and two children sitting in what looks like a beach, then the footage returns to the film. Mycroft frowns at this when it suddenly glitches again for a little longer this time.

The yellowed image returns but then zooms in towards one of the children, a young overweight boy, about eleven years old. Then the screen briefly returns to the woman from the movie, then flicks over to a close up of the fat boy smiling at the camera, then returns to movie.

Mycroft sits up and turns around to look at the film projector. He doesn't see anything that would cause this so he turns back, reaching over and stub out a little cigarette in an ashtray. Then he faces the screen again when it glitches again and the boys smiles quirkerly into the camera.

Now the footage jumps quickly back and forth between the professional movie and the home movie. In the home movie, a beach ball bounces across to a younger boy, about four years old, who has a mop of brown curly hair. The camera pulls up and the mother stand up and waves.

Mycroft, puzzled about all of this, can't help but smile at the sight.

The father kneels down to the older son who is holding a plate piled high with sandwiches and an apple, and is taking a bite from the sandwich. The father says something to the boy but he pulls the plate protectively closer to him. The footage cuts to the parents sitting in their deckchairs as the father beckons to the younger boy; then it cuts to the younger boy piling on top of the older one.

Mycroft can't help but smile as the footage cuts to a far shot of the parents and their two sons waving into the camera, then briefly the screen goes white and jagged writing appears reading:

I'M BACK

before the family continues to wave at the camera. The footage keeps glitching between the home video to the movie until it switches back to the white screen and the I'M BACK message reappears before the footage dissolves.

Mycroft stares at the screen in shock while, behind him, the last of the film tape spools off the end of the reel. Mycroft stands and stares at the now blank screen in front of him.
After a moment he walks to a nearby door and takes hold of the handle and tries to open the door, but it won't budge. He takes hold of the handle with both of his hands and struggles to open it but to no avail.