Chapter 4: Don't You Think It's Clever?

At the Special Unit, Sherlock steps onto a marked area on the floor and few feet in front of a door. The white lighting above his head begins to oscillate back and forth. He hears a violin playing but it is faint. "You 'aven't been down 'ere, 'ave you? Silence of the Lambs, basically." A guard said to Sherlock.

"You what?" Sherlock asked in an Irish accent.

"Keep your distance; stay at least three feet away from the glass an' all that." The guard said as the lights above Sherlock turn green then back to white. He looks across to the man and noticed he has headphones on.

"Why the headphones?" Sherlock asked, jerking his head towards the man.

"She doesn't stop playin', sometimes for weeks." The guard said.

"Beautiful." Sherlock said, referring to the music.

"Kills you in the end." said the guard.

"Aye. Still beautiful, though." Sherlock replied as the door slides open and he walks inside.

The door closes behind him and he instantly straightens up from his slouch. He takes off his jacket and drops it to the floor then starts to remove his disguise as the elevator takes him down.

Finally the doors slide open and Sherlock sees a wide wall made up of three floor to ceiling glass panels. On each of the panels, about three feet from the floor, a notice has been stenciled onto the glass reading in white letters "MAINTAIN DISTANCE OF THREE FEET".

On the other side of the glass is a large semi-circular room lined with bare grey panels. Soft white lighting comes from the tops of the panels and a large circular panel of lights in the middle of the ceiling sends green light down into the room.

Running down the middle of the room is a rectangular strip of white flooring and the rest is grey, matching the wall. There is a bed at the far end of the room design to the left near the end is a seat and table fastened to the wall. In the middle of the room, Eurus stands with her back to the door, playing a Bach-like piece on her violin. Sherlock steps forward and the lift doors close behind him.

The overhead lighting turns from green to white as Eurus stops playing and stands there unmoving. After a couple of seconds she starts to play again.
Sherlock stands silently, blinking frequently, as he starts to have flashes back to his younger self running around in the water while Redbeard trots behind him. He presses his lips together uncomfortably but doesn't move while Eurus continues to play.

Over at the governor's office, you, John and Mycroft sit in chairs around the table watching a recording on a large screen which shows four different angles of Eurus in her cell. "Why am I here?" She asked to someone off screen.

"Why do you think you're here?" A man's voice asked.

"No-one ever tells me." Eurus replied. Then she looks over to whoever was behind off screen.

"Am I being punished?" She asked.

"You've been bad." The man said.

"There's no such thing as bad." Eurus said in a sing-song voice.

"What about good?" asked the man.

"Good and bad are fairytales. We have evolved, you attach an emotional significance to what is nothing more than survival strategy of the pack animal. We are conditioned to invest divinity in utility. Good isn't really good, evil isn't really wrong, and bottoms aren't really pretty. You are a prisoner of your own meat." She said.

"Why aren't you?" The man asked.

"I'm too clever." She said, slowly, as she looks straight into the camera. You don't know why but this just made you feel....unsettled?.....uncomfortable....? You weren't for sure.