out of place

being in crowded places always made pony uneasy. and there he was. in a bustling cafe, standing near an empty corner booth, by himself. he wasn't exactly alone, as he was waiting for johnny to come back with their drinks. but still, he was still anxious. so while johnny nervously waited in the long line, pony quietly scrolled through instagram on his phone, trying not to attract any attention to himself. he really wanted them to make their way over to the fair. dally was waiting for them there. of course, he did occasionally glance up to check on his best friend, knowing the tan-skinned boy was trying to avoid any human interaction, even though he practically insisted on waiting in line instead of pony.

pony did offer to wait in the stretching line, but johnny complained that he always did everything for him, and that he should do something this time. pony did try to insist but johnny put up a good argument and ended up winning. pony gazed at his friend, his heart beating out of his chest. johnny was shaking, his pockets shoved in his big jacket pockets and his mouth covered with his scarf. he was noticeably uneasy, probably from having to talk to the man at the cash register, who was at least 5 inches taller than him. pony looked fixedly at him standing at the pick-up center, worrying if he was going to have a heart-attack before he even got back. quickly realizing that he was staring, he brought his eyes back to his phone, his cheeks a little red.

"hey," a smooth voice suddenly said. pony slightly jumped at the sudden voice in front of him. looking up from his bright screen his gaze was met with a girl, a smirk was plastered on her makeup caked face like she was trying to get at something. she looked about his age.

"what are you doing all the way in corner?" she asked, in a forced innocent voice. pony looked at her strangely. why did she want to know? and what was with her voice?

"nothin' much," he simply replied back, not wanting to tell her anything. pony noticed that she took a step closer to him. he would have taken a step back if he wasn't standing against a wall.

she started to trace a finger on pony's arm, making him slightly uncomfortable. promptly realizing this girl was trying to flirt with him, he jerked his arm away. this only made the stranger come closer, now being too close for comfort.

"so," she spoke again, reaching a hand up to his face, "where's a handsome boy like you going?" by then, pony was really tense, his hand gripping his phone so hard that the knuckles of his hands were white as a sheet of paper. to pony, this was a nightmare. he never had to deal with unwanted flirting before. he wanted to get out of this situation, but his arms and legs felt like they had been frozen in place. he couldn't move.

"h-hey, love!" a shaky voice came from the behind the girl. she immediately turned around, revealing a very antsy looking johnny. pony's eyes instantly widened and his faced flushed a deep red. "love"? johnny had never called him that. they weren't even dating. "love"? what was with the sudden nickname? "love"? what made johnny-- oh. pony then caught his drift.

"hey!" ponyboy smiled pushing past the girl who now looked annoyed at johnny.

"uh, i've got the drinks! i'm sorry it took so long..." he quietly said looking at his feet, handing pony the bigger foam cup. pony smiled, loving how adorable he was.

"heh, it's fine! don't worry about it!" ponyboy replied taking it from his hand. not wasting any time to think, pony swiftly planted a light kiss on johnny's forehead, making the darker one heat up in surprise.

"s-so who's this?" he asked turning towards the girl who still looked aggravated.

"oh," ponyboy stated, in monotone voice, "she was just complimenting how i looked today."

"yea. complimenting," the girl scoffed, flipping her hair. with more observation, pony could tell she was more jealous of johnny then irritated with him.

"well, we better be going," ponyboy quickly said shutting the conversation down. then one brisk motion, he intertwined his hand in johnny's and made his way towards the exit, practically dragging his friend behind him. once they were outside, ponyboy immediately felt a wave of embarrassment overcome him. he couldn't even talk back to a girl his age. and he just kissed his best friend. he knew it was just on the forehead, and it probably didn't mean much, but it still was enough to make his cheeks tint pink. walking towards the direction he thought the fair was in he couldn't make himself look at johnny.

"thanks," was the only thing he could make himself say, "for doing that back there."

"it was no problem," johnny replied happily, "you looked uncomfortable. it was the least I could do."

at this statement, pony couldn't help but smile. for the rest of the time to the fair, they sipped their hot brews to keep warm in the cold air. they smiled and laughed with each other as stories, small talk, and jokes were shared. occasionally they window shopped, gaping at all of the items they thought were either cute or cool.

the fair was closer than they thought, and they had made it in less than thirty minutes. of course, dally was already standing there gazing out into the sea, his phone in his hand, his hand resting on the wooden railing of the pier. both boys yelled out to him, making him turn his head around and smile towards them. it wasn't until johnny rushed ahead of pony to go say hi to dally, and the warmth in his hand left, that pony realized. he had held johnny's hand all the way to the fair.  

word count: 981

a/n wow look at that. a one shot just written by just one of us. i trIED. todd doesn't even know i wrote this lol. - p.j 

a/n todd has found this. todd is very proud of pj. todd likes this a lot. todd shall not delete any part of this cuz todd finds nothing wrong with it. todd really likes talking in the third person. perhaps todd might write a one shot on todd's own. who knows? - if you haven't guessed who this is by now, go look at the first word of this a/n)

muah love you - p.j